6:48 AM
Crawfish Pizza

user36788_pic7170_1512477492.jpg

Apricot Sauce
Ingredients
1/2 C apricot preserves
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chili garlic paste (available @ oriental market)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Pinch of salt

Method

1. In a small sauce add all ingredients over low heat and stir.
  2. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring often. If too thick to drizzle, it can be thinned with a little water. Set aside.
Pizza
Ingredients
1/4 lb cooked crawfish tails (I purposely reserve tails from a crawfish boil to make other meals)
1 Tbsp homemade or purchased blackening seasoning
2 Tbsp extra virgin oilive oil
1/4 lb Andouille sausage split lengthwise and cut into small chunks (we make our own, but Ragin Cajun by Thomas is pretty good)
1 pizza crust (16"), lightly pre-grilled
1-1/2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1 C shredded Mozzarella
1/2 C shredded Fontina (if we can't find Fontina, we use Fontenella)
1/2 C thinly sliced red onion
1 roasted red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and skin removed, cut into 1/4" strips

Method
  1. Rinse and dry crawfish with paper towels. In medium bowl, toss crawfish with blackening seasoning. Make sure tails are coated well.
  2. Unless you have an excellent exhaust system in your kitchen, this next step should be done outside using gas burner, like a jet cooker. Get a medium CI pan white hot. Add 1 Tbsp of the oil. Add the crawfish and stir to blacken (about 2 minutes). Add the andouille and stir for another minute, remove from pan and set aside.
  3. Brush one side of the crust with the remaining oil. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and distribute the shredded cheeses evenly over the crust. Top with crawfish and andouille mixture making sure to evenly distribute over the pizza. Add red onions and roasted pepper strips.
  4. Drizzle evenly with apricot sauce. You can do the pizza in an oven until the cheese melts and bubbles, but I prefer either grilling or a wood fired oven. If you like cilantro, garnish with 1 Tbsp of torn leaves. Enjoy! You can substitute shrimp/prawns for the crawfish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see a photo of the finished pizza. It sounds absolutely delicious. I need to investigate 'blackening seasoning' as its not something we get in the UK. I'm wondering if I could use a culinary blowtorch instead of cooking the crawfish in a pan (or as well as). As for the crawfish unless I use crayfish which are not the same and rather small, I would have to substitute large prawns.

Blackening seasoning.
The crawfish are precooked so they only need a short saute on very high heat to get blackened. I use a cast iron skillet for the job. If you use fresh prawns, they will take very little time. Remember they will also cook more in the oven/grill. I am a seafood snob and my biggest pet peeve is over cooked seafood, especially if I paid for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackening seasoning.
The crawfish are precooked so they only need a short saute on very high heat to get blackened. I use a cast iron skillet for the job. If you use fresh prawns, they will take very little time. Remember they will also cook more in the oven/grill. I am a seafood snob and my biggest pet peeve is over cooked seafood, especially if I paid for it.

36788-albums1032-picture7170.jpg

I whole heatedly agree with your point about overcooked seafood! I have all the ingredients for the blackening seasoning so that is no problem. :happy:

I whole heatedly agree with your point about overcooked seafood! I have all the ingredients for the blackening seasoning so that is no problem. :happy:

I should have mentioned that we uses kosher salt and not table salt for cooking.

I can move you photo to the top post if you like, to go with the recipe. You might be able to do that yourself through the edit function but I know there are some restrictions on new members being able to edit their posts, so I'm not sure if you can.

I should have mentioned that we uses kosher salt and not table salt for cooking.
I use sea salt or Himalayan pink salt and for decorative purposes black volcanic salt - we don't have kosher salt in UK (at least, not that I'm aware of).

I can move you photo to the top post if you like, to go with the recipe. You might be able to do that yourself through the edit function but I know there are some restrictions on new members being able to edit their posts, so I'm not sure if you can.
If you like,go ahead. I can't find a picture of the fig and prosciutto pizza.

I'd love to see a photo of the finished pizza. It sounds absolutely delicious. I need to investigate 'blackening seasoning' as its not something we get in the UK. I'm wondering if I could use a culinary blowtorch instead of cooking the crawfish in a pan (or as well as). As for the crawfish unless I use crayfish which are not the same and rather small, I would have to substitute large prawns.

Crawfish are small. From end of tail to nose tip, they can range anywhere from 2-1/2 to 5 or so inches, with the 5 being on the really big side, which, if my math is correct, would be about 6.25-12.5 cm for you. They look like dollhouse mini-lobster compared to a regular Maine lobster.

Last edited:
Crawfish are small. From end of tail to nose tip, they can range anywhere from 2-1/2 to 5 or so inches, with the 5 being on the really big side, which, if my math is correct, would be about 6.25-12.5 cm for you. They look like dollhouse mini-lobster compared to a regular Maine lobster.

The crayfish I get look like this (small):

IDShot_540x540-16.jpg

Those look a lot like our crawfish/crayfish/mudbugs, all names for the same thing depending on the person you are talking to.

Back
Top Bottom