Recipe Grilled Red Fish on the Half Shell With Pesto and Tomatoes

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:35 PM
Red Fish is found in the coastal marshes and the gulf. It has a firm, white flesh suitable for grilling and broiling. G uses Red Fish in his Sauce Picante. They get very large and are fun to catch but the big ones are not good eating.
Red fish on the half shell is filleted with skin and scales on.

INGREDIENTS
2 Red Fish Fillets on the half shell
Pesto
Tomato slices
EVOO
Salt
Pepper
Lemon wedge
Fresh basil for garnish

METHOD
Heat the grill
Pat the fish dry
Lightly brush the fillets with EVOO
Salt and pepper
Spread pesto on the flesh
Top with tomato slices
Another light sprinkle of salt and pepper
Grill until flesh is flaky and tomatoes are soft
Drizzle with lemon juice

Red Fish is found in the coastal marshes and the gulf. It has a firm, white flesh suitable for grilling and broiling. G uses Red Fish in his Sauce Picante. They get very large and are fun to catch but the big ones are not good eating.
Red fish on the half shell is filleted with skin and scales on.

INGREDIENTS
2 Red Fish Fillets on the half shell
Pesto
Tomato slices
EVOO
Salt
Pepper
Lemon wedge
Fresh basil for garnish

METHOD
Heat the grill
Pat the fish dry
Lightly brush the fillets with EVOO
Salt and pepper
Spread pesto on the flesh
Top with tomato slices
Another light sprinkle of salt and pepper
Grill until flesh is flaky and tomatoes are soft
Drizzle with lemon juice

View attachment 43463

OMG, I love your idea of using pesto on fish!

Fantastic! We have redfish on the Atlantic coast as well. It is a "slot" fish. Slot being the size allowed to be kept, has to be over a certain size and under a certain size. They are also known as "Red Drum".

This looks great ElizabethB - I'd never heard of the expression 'half shell' in relation to fish not come across fillets with scales on. As adventurousbaker asks, is this to form a barrier so that the fish doesn't burn/overcook?
I doubt that you could purchase fish on the half shell unless you can order it from a fish monger. It is best with a firm fleshed fish, not a delicate fish. Yes it does keep the fish moist and tender when grilling or broiling. The "shell" keeps the flesh from sticking to the grill.

Fantastic! We have redfish on the Atlantic coast as well. It is a "slot" fish. Slot being the size allowed to be kept, has to be over a certain size and under a certain size. They are also known as "Red Drum".

I figured you would have red fish. The Gulf Stream keeps the Atlantic waters warm enough for Gulf fish. The slot system depends on where you fish. In Louisiana you can keep 5 Red Fish per day. "Rat Reds" are between 16" and 27". Bull Reds are over 27". One Bull Red is allowed per day, one of the the 5 fish limit. Bull Reds are a hoot to catch but not good eating. We have a friend that loves to fish for Bull Reds. His largest was 38 lbs.
The slot in Teas is different. In Texas waters only 1 Bull Red is allowed per season and their Rat Red slot is 18" to 28" (I think).

I've had redfish in Texas and in Florida. It is a very tasty fish. It is flaky, and not too "fishy," so there is a lot you can do with it. It is a great fish for sauces, and fresh herbs.

I had never heard the term, "on the half shell," either.

CD

I am very familiar with redfish. They are prolific in brackish waters and ponds where I grew up. They like sandbars and grassy flat areas in the water. That's some darned good eatin' right there. Never heard of them being left skin and scale on and referred to as "half shell". Very interesting and very tasty looking dish.

I doubt that you could purchase fish on the half shell unless you can order it from a fish monger. It is best with a firm fleshed fish, not a delicate fish. Yes it does keep the fish moist and tender when grilling or broiling. The "shell" keeps the flesh from sticking to the grill.

I figured you would have red fish. The Gulf Stream keeps the Atlantic waters warm enough for Gulf fish. The slot system depends on where you fish. In Louisiana you can keep 5 Red Fish per day. "Rat Reds" are between 16" and 27". Bull Reds are over 27". One Bull Red is allowed per day, one of the the 5 fish limit. Bull Reds are a hoot to catch but not good eating. We have a friend that loves to fish for Bull Reds. His largest was 38 lbs.
The slot in Teas is different. In Texas waters only 1 Bull Red is allowed per season and their Rat Red slot is 18" to 28" (I think).

All those things I never knew. I love learning here!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom