Retro Recipe Grog aka basic Rum Punch

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
7:32 AM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
My father taught me a little rhyme a long time ago...

One of Sour,
Two of Sweet,
Three of Strong,

And Four of Weak.

This nursery rhyme is for adults only. It details the basics of making a rum punch or Grog as it is sometimes referred to (especially if you eschew the use of fruit punch in the ingredients). Each number refers to a measure which can be an ounce (or a cup), as long as you are consistent with your measure.

So for example, here's how my family does it:
1 oz Freshly squeezed lime juice
2 oz Brown Sugar simple syrup
3 oz Appleton Rum (I am using Signature blend in this example)
4 oz Water (filtered water mind you, unless you have great tasting tap water LOL!)
It is as simple as stirring together in a mixing glass/container and serving over ice with a lime wheel garnish

Variations abound and may include fruit juice for the 2 parts of sweet, and I've seen some people put a stick of cinnamon in there as well. Take this recipe and make it your own!

20210826_183319.jpg

20210826_221133.jpg

Ruminating on the results yesterday, (see what I did there?) I have a revision to the Recipe Rhyme:

One of Sour,
Two of Sweet,
Three of Strong,
And Four of Weak.
If a stronger Grog you seek,
Do omit one part of weak.

I´m wary of rum. One or two are fine; three or four, completely incoherent. Doesn´t happen with scotch or bourbon.
That recipe looks very good, however. I´d happily try it with Venezuelan rum ( Cacique, 1796, Carúpano, Diplomático), which I consider to be the best in the world. ( But that´s because I live here! :laugh: :laugh: )

Eye matey. She sounds like a mighty fine grog, she does. I'll ave' me schooner o that! 🏴‍☠️

CD

Last edited:
Winter punch with clove, cinnamon, vanilla and star anise is my favorite, heated in wine. White wine punch can also be pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom