Ground Lamb - Ideas for preparation

Backbay

Über Member
Local time
5:03 PM
We were given several packs of frozen ground lamb. The farm is co-owned by Chef Thomas Keller of the French Laundry Restaurant and is advertised as high quality.

Anyway, I do not eat lamb and the Mr. loves lamb. I don’t want to botch the preparation so I was thinking of making him lamb burgers but need some help/advice… what seasonings? Do I mix any other type of ground meat with it or a binder/bread crumbs? Grill on the gas grill, pan fry, bake?

Sure, I can search recipes on the web, just thought it would be fun to hear suggestions from the great folks at Cooking Bites.. any and all suggestions appreciated 🌞🌞🌞

We were given several packs of frozen ground lamb. The farm is co-owned by Chef Thomas Keller of the French Laundry Restaurant and is advertised as high quality.

Anyway, I do not eat lamb and the Mr. loves lamb. I don’t want to botch the preparation so I was thinking of making him lamb burgers but need some help/advice… what seasonings? Do I mix any other type of ground meat with it or a binder/bread crumbs? Grill on the gas grill, pan fry, bake?

Sure, I can search recipes on the web, just thought it would be fun to hear suggestions from the great folks at Cooking Bites.. any and all suggestions appreciated 🌞🌞🌞
Make kebabs/koftas served with yoghurt . I'd love to have some but I don't. We love lamb

Russ

Thanks, everyone for your replies! Will post back once I decide on what I will make. Thank you !

Thanks, everyone for your replies! Will post back once I decide on what I will make. Thank you !
My nephew specifically asked me to make him lamb burgers for his birthday dinner 13 days from now. I have made lamb chops several times and leg of lamb once, but have no idea what to do with a lamb burger. I was thinking Greek seasonings and maybe a tzatziki sauce? Or something different? Unsure of what to do. I will probably make his all lamb and do a blend of lamb and beef for myself.

Anyone else have input?

My nephew specifically asked me to make him lamb burgers for his birthday dinner 13 days from now. I have made lamb chops several times and leg of lamb once, but have no idea what to do with a lamb burger. I was thinking Greek seasonings and maybe a tzatziki sauce? Or something different? Unsure of what to do. I will probably make his all lamb and do a blend of lamb and beef for myself.

Anyone else have input?

See my post above. If you want though you can simply form ground lamb into burgers with a little salt to season and cook just as you would make a beef burger.

See my post above. If you want though you can simply form ground lamb into burgers with a little salt to season and cook just as you would make a beef burger.
I did see your post above and saw the recipe as well, but he doesn't like coconut, fennel, or cinnamon (he likes cinnamon with apple pie but not meat). He specifically wants a burger, but I am so used to making herb-forward marinades and using different cuts of lamb than what I suspect the ground lamb comes from (baby rib-rack lamb chops, baby leg of lamb) that I wasn't sure if the ground lamb on it's own with only salt would taste good and be tender enough. He said he tried to make lamb burgers once and they were dry and not good, so he wanted me to make him something moist and flavorful.

I wasn't sure if the ground lamb on it's own with only salt would taste good and be tender enough. He said he tried to make lamb burgers once and they were dry and not good, so he wanted me to make him something moist and flavorful.

It should be fine with just salt if there is enough fat in that lamb. But it sounds like he is a bit picky, so it depends on what he will accept as added ingredients. Ground coriander, lemon zest, mint, grated garlic, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, chilli, paprika would all work.

It should be fine with just salt if there is enough fat in that lamb. But it sounds like he is a bit picky, so it depends on what he will accept as added ingredients. Ground coriander, lemon zest, mint, grated garlic, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, chilli, paprika would all work.
Yeah, I am going to have to please his palate as well as that of his fiance and my husband (and my own, LOL). His fiance was vegetarian for a number of years and only tried lamb once, which was last year when I had them over for lamb "lollipops" (lamb rib chops from a rack of very young lamb) and I used a roasted garlic, rosemary, parsley, and oregano marinade with olive oil, red wine and red wine vinegar, sea salt, and pepper. She liked it quite well, but not sure how she will like it straight up in a burger with only salt. I am probably going to blend beef with hers and mine. I am not a fan of mint except in my tea so that's out.

I will have to take a poll amongst the other 3 of them to figure out what's going to work. I have no idea if he is thinking a typical burger with ketchup, mustard, etc. or what. The lamb is in the freezer, I will have to take it out and check the fat content as well.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Last edited:
I will have to take a poll amongst the other 3 of them to figure out what's going to work.

You have a tricky situation.

I used a roasted garlic, rosemary, and oregano marinade with olive oil, red wine and red wine vinegar, sea salt, and pepper.

Oregano would also be good in a lamb burger.

Also cumin is good with lamb. As it happens I just bought some minced lamb for the recipe challenge. Maybe I should make burgers!

You have a tricky situation.

Oregano would also be good in a lamb burger.

Also cumin is good with lamb. As it happens I just bought some minced lamb for the recipe challenge. Maybe I should make burgers!
I do have a tricky situation! I was already considering just using what I used in my marinade for the lamb chops (which included fresh oregano) since I already know they all liked it, but I am still going to ask anyway. I was also considering treating it like a large, disc-shaped lamb meatball and using a bit of Greek yogurt along with the herbs in it and just a smidgen of bread crumbs, and then using the roasted garlic in an aioli sauce to put on the bun instead.

You should do a lamb burger or your lamb kofta!

Anyone else have input?
Tzatziki and lamb work perfectly.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom