1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped dill pickles
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 hamburger buns, split
Lettuce leaves

Directions
In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool.

Add the next six ingredients. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each bun; top with lettuce.

Recipe courtesy of Taste Of Home magazine

NOTE: I added cheese to mine.

I don't often say I don't fancy one of the recipes you post but this time I will. Well, its not your recipe so I ain't criticising you! I simply can't get my head around the idea of cold cooked minced beef mixed with mayonnaise. The photos make it look quite attractive, though.

I don't often say I don't fancy one of the recipes you post but this time I will. Well, its not your recipe so I ain't criticising you! I simply can't get my head around the idea of cold cooked minced beef mixed with mayonnaise. The photos make it look quite attractive, though.
Believe me, I think the first time I made this, I was making it to see if it would be as unpalatable as it sounded, and was just completely surprised by the flavor. I gave MrsT a bit to taste before serving it up (her idea of too salty and mine are worlds apart) and her comment was, "God, that's good! Why aren't you making this all the time?!"

The key is to make sure you drain it well, so you don't have cold, congealed grease in there.

I'm really selling it now, huh? :laugh:

Believe me, I think the first time I made this, I was making it to see if it would be as unpalatable as it sounded, and was just completely surprised by the flavor. I gave MrsT a bit to taste before serving it up (her idea of too salty and mine are worlds apart) and her comment was, "God, that's good! Why aren't you making this all the time?!"

The key is to make sure you drain it well, so you don't have cold, congealed grease in there.

I'm really selling it now, huh? :laugh:

When I first saw this thread, I had to check to see if you posted it on April 1st.

I'll just have to take you at your word that it is good, because I don't imagine I'll be making it. :laugh:

CD

It seemed like an alien concept to me, too. But, there are examples that connect it to things that many of us have eaten, such as:
  • A chicken salad sandwich (which TastyReuben mentioned) is cold chicken with mayo. Why is cold chicken with mayo normal but cold beef with mayo is a strange thing? I suppose an extra lean beef burger would make a difference: cold, congealed fat isn't appetizing. And, I wouldn't just drain it: I would use a lot of paper towels to soak up every drop of the grease.
  • Steak tartare - Cold meat commonly prepared with elements found in mayo (egg and vinegar).
This is an interesting one to make us look at where we draw the line with food. I don't think I'll prepare ground beef intentionally to make this, but I think I'll use one of the leftover burgers the next time I have a barbecue to give this a try. I'll be honest: I'm planning to try only a tiny bit of the burger, in case I hate it, so I can still salvage it. :)

A chicken salad sandwich (which @TastyReuben mentioned) is cold chicken with mayo. Why is cold chicken with mayo normal but cold beef with mayo is a strange thing? I suppose an extra lean beef burger would make a difference: cold, congealed fat isn't appetizing. And, I wouldn't just drain it: I would use a lot of paper towels to soak up every drop of the grease.

I think cold cuts of beef would be fine with mayo in a salad sandwich. Its the idea of minced (ground) beef with the fat, as you say. Plus, the idea of mixing mayo with cooked minced beef sounds as if it would be rather unattractive visually. TastyReuben did a good job of making it look quite pretty!

Steak tartare is a different thing - its uncooked meat and usually fillet or beef with almost no fat. Also the egg is served on top not mixed into it.

Hmmm, I have tlaked about steak salad I think, I wonder if this would be better with the meat in it instead of ground.

I have to give that some thought, but overall it does look good.

T

Back
Top Bottom