Happy 4th of July (USA)

mjd

Veteran
Local time
11:01 AM
I hope everyone who celebrates has a safe and nice holiday! Thanks to the veterans among us.

17907-fourth-of-july-4th-of-july.gif

Same to you, MJ! I hope you have a good day.
Thanks! Are you grilling out today? I bought some ribs and made potato salad and strawberry shortcake. I don't have a patio so I had to make them in the oven. They are smelling good. I texted my caregiver and she will call me when the time is up to make sure I didn't pass out with the oven on.

Thanks! Are you grilling out today? I bought some ribs and made potato salad and strawberry shortcake. I don't have a patio so I had to make them in the oven. They are smelling good. I texted my caregiver and she will call me when the time is up to make sure I didn't pass out with the oven on.
Nope, no grilling. I don't know what we're doing. I'm making a very, very late breakfast right now, and we're going to see my folks tomorrow, so I'm making pulled pork, vinegar slaw, and coconut cake today to bring over to them.

Nope, no grilling. I don't know what we're doing. I'm making a very, very late breakfast right now, and we're going to see my folks tomorrow, so I'm making pulled pork, vinegar slaw, and coconut cake today to bring over to them.
How do you make your coconut cake?

P.S. Bring means "toward yourself". Take means "toward someone else". Sorry, had to be grammar police there for a minute. ;-)

How do you make your coconut cake?

P.S. Bring means "toward yourself". Take means "toward someone else". Sorry, had to be grammar police there for a minute. ;-)
Grammarly Blog disagrees. Bring means to bring to a person or place, not just yourself, and take means to "cause to move away from," so if I'm going to be completely accurate, I shall take a cake from my house and bring it to their house. 😬

Anyway, I'm doing a quick cheat cake, using a boxed white cake mix as the base, to which I'll sub in some coconut milk and coconut extract, and the same with the frosting (which I'll make from scratch - I can't abide canned frosting). Then the whole thing gets coated in a mix of untoasted and toasted coconut.

It's my Dad's favorite dessert. When he was having his heart surgery, he was really worried about it, though he was trying not to let on.

I'd made him a coconut cake a week or so earlier, for his birthday. On the day of the surgery, just before they wheeled him in, we were all allowed to gather and wish him good luck and all that, and he was already mildly doped up.

Now, this is a man whom I've never seen kiss or hug my mom or his parents or any of his kids, never show any kind of emotion that way.

We all wished him luck and assured him he'd be fine and they started rolling him out, and he suddenly said, "Hold on a minute, where's Tasty?"

"I'm right here, Dad," and I stepped over.

He surprised me by taking my hand, and he looked at me, and his eyes were a little misty, and he choked a little when he said, "You know...I sure wish I had a piece of that coconut cake right now. I really love that."

:laugh:

Just do it MY way, dang it!!! ;-)

That made me a bit misty too. I was thinking about coconut cake just the other day because I haven't had it since I was a kid. My mother is a great cook and baker but she won't give me her recipes. I also would love to learn how to make German chocolate cake. That is my all-time favorite. Haven't had it in at least 20 years, probably longer.

Just do it MY way, dang it!!! ;-)

That made me a bit misty too. I was thinking about coconut cake just the other day because I haven't had it since I was a kid. My mother is a great cook and baker but she won't give me her recipes. I also would love to learn how to make German chocolate cake. That is my all-time favorite. Haven't had it in at least 20 years, probably longer.
If I were your neighbor, I'd make you one. :) :hug:

Are mimosas traditional? That's what we're having right now. :wink:

Isn't it a bit late for mimosas? I thought that was a morning drink, like a Bloody Mary. I do know that 2:30PM is a late start for traditional 4th of July drinking. :drink:

CD

Reactions: mjd
Happy Fourth! I went down to a party at my old state of Connecticut yesterday, and brought a batch of home-pickled (home-grown) quail eggs. These were seasoned with rice vinegar, salt, cumin seed, and Arbol peppers. Along with a couple other things I didn't actually make (the bottle of wine, and the local hard sweet sausage - texture of pepperoni, but not pepperoni). The quail eggs were a great hit.

A really really good time, seeing people whom I hadn't seen for two years. (A couple I'd seen a year and 3/4ths ago, but similar idea...)

Back
Top Bottom