The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:08 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
48bd9b67-f023-4503-8b69-e64a9088e18b-jpeg.jpg

Harissa is Tunisian chili pepper paste. I've seen so many different peppers used for this recipe that I thought that my use of serrano peppers was an unusual offshoot. In fact, serranos are often a preferred pepper (at least according to professor Wiki Pedia). Regardless of the variation, you will find that harissa works beautifully as a sauce or as a dip. It makes a fun variation on typical salsa, too.

Ingredients

3 bell peppers
2 Serrano chiles
4 Garlic cloves
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Directions

1. Toast cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds in a pan for about a minute, then remove from pan and grind. Set aside.

2. Brush peppers and garlic with oil and heat in an oven at 375°F (190°C). Watch the garlic particularly in the first few minutes as they will brown quickly. Remove from the oven as their surface browns. Flip the other peppers over to brown the exterior: the serrano peppers will brown before the bell peppers are ready. Remove the remaining peppers when the exterior is browned.

3. Allow to cool somewhat, then scrape the skin off the peppers and discard. Discard the stems from the peppers.

4. Chop the peppers roughly and place in a food processor. Place remaining ingredients, plus any oil still on the baking sheet, in a food processor. Process until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides if necessary.

5. Serve with turmeric flatbread, or another flatbread.

d278c623-7da9-4c36-8b6a-bc82bd015128-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom