Have you ever had a dish that had too much garlic?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:26 PM
Karen order a shrimp dish, I think it was the last time we ate at OutBack years ago, that she couldn't finish because the garlic was so over powering. I took a bite and it was way too much garlic.

I'm with MrsDangermouse and Hungry Man - if it's garlic, bring it on!

My parents absolutely abhor garlic. I made hummus a few years back for a family get-together, and my mom wanted to try it, as she'd never heard of it before, and I forgot to warn her it had several cloves of garlic in it, double what the recipe called for.

She took a bite and literally screamed, like she'd been stabbed, and half-shouted-half-sobbed, "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME IT HAD THAT AWFUL OL' GARLIC IN IT!"

The rest of the gathering, she kept complaining she couldn't taste anything because I'd ruined her tastebuds.

Well, now...there are different ways to present garlic:
  • If it's roasted garlic, then the phrase too much garlic is practically nonsensical to me.
  • But, if a restaurant - let's pick a random name, like Outback - decides that they're in too much of a hurry to do a good job cooking the garlic, then you will have a residual harshness because it's still partly raw. In that case, yes, it's certainly possible to have too much garlic.

Well, now...there are different ways to present garlic:
  • If it's roasted garlic, then the phrase too much garlic is practically nonsensical to me.
  • But, if a restaurant - let's pick a random name, like Outback - decides that they're in too much of a hurry to do a good job cooking the garlic, then you will have a residual harshness because it's still partly raw. In that case, yes, it's certainly possible to have too much garlic.

Agreed. Cooked garlic can be any amount, but raw garlic can be too much.

I'm with MrsDangermouse and Hungry Man - if it's garlic, bring it on!

My parents absolutely abhor garlic. I made hummus a few years back for a family get-together, and my mom wanted to try it, as she'd never heard of it before, and I forgot to warn her it had several cloves of garlic in it, double what the recipe called for.

She took a bite and literally screamed, like she'd been stabbed, and half-shouted-half-sobbed, "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME IT HAD THAT AWFUL OL' GARLIC IN IT!"

The rest of the gathering, she kept complaining she couldn't taste anything because I'd ruined her tastebuds.
Are you sure you weren't adopted?

I like a lot of garlic. Some people might think I use too much. But raw garlic is pretty harsh, so that could be taken too far.

CD

Craig's brother made tzatziki once. He chopped up garlic, and it ended up being a lot! He thought what the he//, you can never have too much garlic! After it melded and he tasted it, he decided yes you can. This was a man who made garlic chocolate fudge and liked it...

Last edited:
I was once assigned to bring spanish rice to a fiesta. It definitely had to much garlic, as I thought when making the rice that there was no such thing as too much garlic. Not true.

Back
Top Bottom