Have you ever made a soufflé?

OK - lets do soufflé for the cookalong. :D Having looked at various links there does seem to be a confusion and overlap in some places between fondants and soufflés. Technically, I believe fondants are the ones that have runny middles and are more cake-like. So, for sake of argument and to offer more choice I'll include both.

Never made a souffle but think I tried to make a fondant a long time ago.

Challenge accepted :okay: I'm just off to my parents to experiment with some cooking but don' think I will have time to do a souffle as well.

I'm not sure how there could be an overlap or confusion between souffles and fondant cakes (that would be what the US calls lava or molten cakes BTW) since a fondant/lava cake is turned out and is still wet and runny in the center, but at least I'll have an excuse to make a souffle.

Fondant on our side of the pond is something you cover cakes with after putting on a crumb coat basically of icing.

I'll be using ramekins too unless I make a dinner souffle.

I've made lava cakes before as well. One of the best ones I ever made was specially made for a friend. It involved tiny truffles with a raspberry in the center and used Chambord. The cake was dark chocolate, as was the ganache for the truffle. Unfortunately, I lost the recipe. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm not sure how there could be an overlap or confusion between souffles and fondant cakes (that would be what the US calls lava or molten cakes BTW) since a fondant/lava cake is turned out and is still wet and runny in the center, but at least I'll have an excuse to make a souffle.

Fondant on our side of the pond is something you cover cakes with after putting on a crumb coat basically of icing.

I agree but it seems to be a 'naming' confusion regarding using the word soufflé when its really a molten cake (fondant). Maybe its only in Europe that the confusion arises! Fondant is a word used for a cake covering in the UK too.

I've made lava cakes before as well. One of the best ones I ever made was specially made for a friend. It involved tiny truffles with a raspberry in the center and used Chambord. The cake was dark chocolate, as was the ganache for the truffle. Unfortunately, I lost the recipe. :cry:

I'll amend the OP of the Challenge to include the term 'lava cake' (thank you!). But hey... that recipe sounds stunning. :ohmy:

before my dear Dr. turned to the low-fat diet speech, we had souffle right regular.
prep

fold start

oven ready

didn't get a shot of 'this done' - from prior, six egg:

Yep, have made many both savory and sweet. I believe the difficulty has been over played a little. It's true though that it must be served immediately or your ego may be deflated as much as your soufflé if it isn't served right away.

Back
Top Bottom