Have you ever made Pomme Parisienne?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:27 AM
I confess I haven't but this way of cooking potatoes looks so pretty, that I'd really like to. Anyway, its a use for that melon baller (AKA as a Parisienne scoop) which many of us have lurking at the back of a drawer!

I have not.

I once watched a video of Jacques Pépin, where he was making potatoes, and he mentioned that in a restaurant setting, the potatoes would be shaped uniformly, mainly for presentation, then he nonchalantly picked up a potato and carved it into a perfect little oval, and another, and another, all identical, and it all happened in about 15 seconds. :laugh:

Many, many times. They're a true classic and a melon baller will save you eons of time compared to hand turning.

The waxier the potato, the better. We used Yukon Golds mainly. Pan fried (almost more of a poach, really) in ghee until tender, drained and cooled and then finished for service in whole butter until golden and crispy, and let the milk solids browned slightly. A little fresh thyme or sage while not needed, worked well.

We'd use all the scraps in the AM hash browns and specialty hash dishes, my favorite being the Duck Confit Hash.

Last edited:
Yes, painstakingly and for hours on end. I have a melon baller too, but now I am retired I CBA to that anymore. If I want them, I'll buy them unless I'm poverty stricken in the future.

Some places blanch in deep fryers then finish in the butter or. You can buy the already cut and ready to go for food service.

Many, many times. They're a true classic and a melon baller will save you eons of time compared to hand turning.

The waxier the potato, the better. We used Yukon Golds mainly. Pan fried (almost more of a poach, really) in ghee until tender, drained and cooled and then finished for service in whole butter until golden and crispy, and let the milk solids browned slightly. A little fresh thyme or sage while not needed, worked well.

We'd use all the scraps in the AM hash browns and specialty hash dishes, my favorite being the Duck Confit Hash.

Can you please post photos? I'd love to see. Interesting that you use ghee rather than butter.

Never made them.
But then I´m not a fan of French food.

I used to like French food a lotand spent a lot of time in France, but as I got older and experienced other cuisines I found I didn't like the way it tends to be rather meat-centric and lacks spices. That is a huge generalisation, of course.

But this potato dish is just a way of cooking potatoes and not particularly typical of French cuisine.

I used to like French food a lotand spent a lot of time in France, but as I got older and experienced other cuisines I found I didn't like the way it tends to be rather meat-centric and lacks spices. That is a huge generalisation, of course.

But this potato dish is just a way of cooking potatoes and not particularly typical of French cuisine.
It is basically fried potato balls. I prefer skin on roasties. My wedge recipe is all I need

Last edited:
Can you please post photos? I'd love to see. Interesting that you use ghee rather than butter.
No pics on hand, this was years ago at a hotel I ran.

Ghee is just clarified butter, for doing the size batches we'd do to prep for service it made more sense. Then, for service, into a pan with a knob of whole butter and pinch of salt, finish with herbs and a grind of pepper.

Back
Top Bottom