Have you ever made your own nut butter?

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
5:38 AM
I probably wouldn't bother for peanut butter, since there are so many varieties and brands that are readily available, but I might try for another type of nut. I've heard of almond butter and cashew butter and other varieties, and they sound delicious. We don't have anything like that in my area, so I thought I might try my hand at making some.

Have any of you tried it? How did it go? Did you use a recipe or did you wing it?

I never tried it. I am sure there are recipes on the web though. It might be a way to cut out the middleman. I have not kind of grinder or anything so I don't know what I would use to grind the nuts, maybe a blender or food processor would work but I am really not sure about that. It is just one of the things that I would need to figure out prior to use.

I tried making almond butter once, because I had a lot of almonds to use up that I didn't want to go bad! It turned out okay, probably not as "smooth" as the store bought ones I've had before, but it was a reasonable first attempt! And I just ended up winging it - but I thought it turned out well! I'm sure maybe if I followed some sort of recipe for exact quantities it would have been a little better!

I never tried it. I am sure there are recipes on the web though. It might be a way to cut out the middleman. I have not kind of grinder or anything so I don't know what I would use to grind the nuts, maybe a blender or food processor would work but I am really not sure about that. It is just one of the things that I would need to figure out prior to use.

I'm not sure either. I have a little chopper, and I thought I might try that. A food processor would probably work better, I'm guessing, but I don't currently have one.

I tried making almond butter once, because I had a lot of almonds to use up that I didn't want to go bad! It turned out okay, probably not as "smooth" as the store bought ones I've had before, but it was a reasonable first attempt! And I just ended up winging it - but I thought it turned out well! I'm sure maybe if I followed some sort of recipe for exact quantities it would have been a little better!

Well, at least you tried it. I have yet to do so, but I think I may give it a whirl.

I've tried some cashew butter from my neighbor but no I haven't tried making my own. I have tried making my own cookie butter though since trying out Trader Joe's cookie butter and falling in love with it. There are a lot of recipes online that use vegetable oil as a base but I prefer using real butter and cream even though I know it goes bad faster because it's just absolutely delicious.

When I was very young there was a time where I use to help my aunt make various nut butters. Eventually, when I got older I did try and make some almond butter that turned out alright. Honestly, I was doing things the old fashion manual way which was too much effort for me. Though, I can see the benefits of doing it yourself and the appreciation of the process involved.

My food processor died a while back and I haven't replaced it yet. I do have a small chopper, and it seems pretty sturdy, but it didn't do the greatest job of grinding the peppercorns I put in it recently. If I were to try this, I might break up the nuts somewhat first, just to reduce the workload on the chopper. A mortar and pestle would probably work, or I might try pressing them between two of my smaller cutting boards, then using the chopper. I have thought of doing this in the past, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I agree, I probably wouldn't bother with peanuts, since I already have an abundance of peanut butter on hand, but I'm interested in trying cashew butter and almond butter, so those would be the two I might try.

My food processor died a while back and I haven't replaced it yet. I do have a small chopper, and it seems pretty sturdy, but it didn't do the greatest job of grinding the peppercorns I put in it recently. If I were to try this, I might break up the nuts somewhat first, just to reduce the workload on the chopper. A mortar and pestle would probably work, or I might try pressing them between two of my smaller cutting boards, then using the chopper. I have thought of doing this in the past, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I agree, I probably wouldn't bother with peanuts, since I already have an abundance of peanut butter on hand, but I'm interested in trying cashew butter and almond butter, so those would be the two I might try.

Those sound like some good tips. I think I'll also try breaking up (or breaking down) the nuts more before attempting to use the chopper or anything. I think that's a sound strategy. Nuts can be good for our health (in moderation of course, like anything else), so I think it's worth figuring out a plan. I will probably just try a small amount at first then if it doesn't work out I won't feel like I wasted much. Thanks for the ideas.

So, does that mean it didn't go very well? Now, I'm really nervous. Was it real messy or what happened? How did it taste?

Oh, thanks for the link. I'll take a peek at that later on. It doesn't *seem* too hard... (why do I always get into trouble when I say that?) :p:
I realised I made a typo. I HAVE NOT made and not likely to make it etc etc. Apologies for that mess up. I can't even promise to ask a friend as I doubt any of my cooking friends even know what it is although I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I have not yet tried making my own nut butter and we are usually buying it in the grocery or supermarket where it is available. Even though I want to try and even if I will have the right recipe and procedure how to make it but still I know that I cannot make it because I had no chopper and a food processor to make it.

I realised I made a typo. I HAVE NOT made and not likely to make it etc etc. Apologies for that mess up. I can even promise to ask a friend as I doubt any of my cooking friends even know what it is although I could be wrong.

Ah, okay, sorry for the confusion. There are some types that are not available here, which is why I was curious about making them. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a mess though. Ha, maybe I'll rethink the homemade nut butter idea.

No, I have not made my own peanut butter or any other kind of nut butters. With the fact that nowadays you can get just about any nut buter you want ot in the sotre I dont really see the reason for making our own nut butters it just kind of seems like a messy propisiton actually.

Back
Top Bottom