Have you ever pot roasted a shoulder of pork?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
10:19 AM
The only cut of meat I've ever pot roasted is brisket, and I'd love to try some other cuts and varieties to see how they turn out. I was wondering about doing a shoulder of pork, or maybe a leg joint of pork. Has anyone here ever pot roasted pork, and if so, does it turn out well? Would you add cider to the pot for flavour?

I have pot roasted a pork shoulder before and it was delicious! I left it cooking for around 6 hours and yes, I did add cider! The key is to cook it for a long time over a low heat. Shoulder is much cheaper too, so it's a great frugal dish.

Reactions: L_B
It will cook fine, as long as you leave it in long enough and don't take it out too early. Although if you are cooking it in a crock pot, I would suggest maybe trimming off some of the excess fat first since it can be really greasy in one of those, as opposed to something like an outdoor smoker where the fat can melt away and drip off during the cooking process. In addition, I would perhaps cook the roast by itself, so you can drain off the excess fat and moisture first before adding any additional sauces and seasonings.

Usually if I am using a crock pot, I will go with a leaner cut like a bonless ribeye roast, or maybe even a pork loin.

You certainly could add cider, though I am not sure how much of a difference it would make considering all the liquid and fat the roast is going to give off. I've heard of adding an acid such as cider, or wine or tomatoes when making something like a bone broth, because the acid reacts with the calcium in the bones to help leech out more flavor.

I've always slow cooked it in the oven for at least 7 to 8 hours. I find that's the best way to do it. :wink:

Last edited:
Shoulder is great for a long cook , plenty of fat to render out
We do one with herbs and garlic and one with molasses, I love apple sauce with it with roasted new potatoes, or in a bap

I mainly like to do it Spanish or Puerto Rican-style.
By rubbing a little olive oil on it and rubbing it down with dry rub and a little cumin, after having poked holes in it with a sharp boning knife and putting garlic clove halves in the holes!
It come out oh so good, soft & tasty!! :wink:

Pork shoulder is great in the slow cooker or pot roast style, low and slow in the oven. There is a great Korean recipe called Bo Saam. It's pork shoulder done low and slow in the oven. All you put on the meat is a rub of salt and sugar, let it marinade over night and then pop it in the oven at 300F for 5-6 hours. The meat comes out so tender and juicy. You wrap it in boston lettuce leaves, with rice, and kimchi. I like to add a garlic, ginger oil sauce and siracha. Here is the link for the recipe.
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

Pork shoulder is great in the slow cooker or pot roast style, low and slow in the oven. There is a great Korean recipe called Bo Saam. It's pork shoulder done low and slow in the oven. All you put on the meat is a rub of salt and sugar, let it marinade over night and then pop it in the oven at 300F for 5-6 hours. The meat comes out so tender and juicy. You wrap it in boston lettuce leaves, with rice, and kimchi. I like to add a garlic, ginger oil sauce and siracha. Here is the link for the recipe.
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

That is pretty much how I do it. You can't rush this cut! It gets plenty of action from the animal's walking and running! When he does this, he is making the fibers & connective tissues tough, which is why slow cooking is the way to go - which helps break down the tough fibers and connective tissues, making the whole thing soft & pliable and chewing it so much easier. :wink:

We have a dish here called crispy pata. It is a whole limb of pork that is fried or roasted. When we were struggling in the apartment, we cooked that in order to save because it is costly to buy. It was so difficult because we had no oven so we fried it whole using a big pot. The cooking oil used were 2 bottles and from my computation, it was more expensive cooking such dish than to order. Now we just dine in a restaurant for that.

I have pot roasted a pork shoulder before and it was delicious! I left it cooking for around 6 hours and yes, I did add cider! The key is to cook it for a long time over a low heat. Shoulder is much cheaper too, so it's a great frugal dish.

This is pretty much how I prepare it too. We have had it quite often and I always enjoy it when we do.

Attachments

• asian braised shoulder roast.jpeg
    asian braised shoulder roast.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 253
Back
Top Bottom