Have you ever tried smoked trout?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
7:14 AM
It's delicious! As much as I loved smoked salmon, I could easily switch to smoked trout as it's every bit as tasty. I've used it in scrambled eggs instead of the salmon, and in fish cakes, and threw a few pieces I had left into a fish pie.

I can really recommend it.

I do like smoked trout. But I think my favorite would be smoked herring.

I have never used smoked fish in any recipes though. I usually have it as a part of a spread for lunch. I would have that along with hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and bread and butter. I think that's a European way to eat it.

I would be interested to try it in a recipe. I'm sure it's delicious!

It sounds wonderful. My dad loves to fish so I grew up eating trout fairly frequently. We didn't have the equipment for smoking our fish though. It might be something my dad would be interested in doing someday.

My dad has a smoker and has always been an avid fisherman, so smoked salmon and smoked trout were staples in our home. I love smoked trout so much I can eat it straight right out of the smoker. It was always a treat when dad would maked smoked fish for us as kids.

My dad has a smoker and has always been an avid fisherman, so smoked salmon and smoked trout were staples in our home. I love smoked trout so much I can eat it straight right out of the smoker. It was always a treat when dad would maked smoked fish for us as kids.

I'd love to smoke things myself!! You're so lucky to have that background knowledge and experience. Have you ever done any smoking of your own? I'm always looking at various equipment from smoking guns to huge set ups you do outdoors. but I have yet to take the leap.

I have never actually tried to smoke anything on my own, just for the fact that I do not have a smoker yet. I plan to get one sometime in the near future so I can smoke meats and whatever else I can find that tastes good. You can actually make them too, the key is just to get the smoke to the meat. I might add that applewood chips are the best for smoking too because they make the meat taste amazing.

Yes. Smoked river trout, with bones and everything still in it, is some of the most succulent meat for fish that the river has to offer IF you do the smoke right. It can't be done too long or the fish gets stringy and dry, and it can't be underdone or the fish tastes extra fishy and runs the risk of giving you some serious gut rot. A properly tended smoked trout is by far one of the best things I've ever eaten with block cheese (blocks of cheddar, etc)

we get Test valley trout and either do it ourselves or have access to a constant supply of hot and cold smoked trout ,we are in the process of experimeting for a local brewer curing trout with hops and malt

This might be for another post, but how is Eel? Always wanted to try it. Smoked Eel sounds yummmmy. *drools*

I love it - it's reasonably common here in the Netherlands - often eaten in a sandwich. I occasionally take a bicycle ride up towards Amsterdam and pass a couple of smokeries on the way back where I can pick it up fresh from the smokery. There are two in particular right next to each other owned by two brothers who fell out 40 years ago and reputedly still aren't on speaking terms.

The only downside is that European eels are highly endangered, so I save it as a rare treat.

I've used a Norwegian smokery for 25 years 2 miles from home he did smoked eel as one of his products it was sublime ,unfortunately he's just retired ,Im encouraging another smoker to take the eel on,there is such a market in smoked food,

Yes. Smoked river trout, with bones and everything still in it, is some of the most succulent meat for fish that the river has to offer IF you do the smoke right. It can't be done too long or the fish gets stringy and dry, and it can't be underdone or the fish tastes extra fishy and runs the risk of giving you some serious gut rot. A properly tended smoked trout is by far one of the best things I've ever eaten with block cheese (blocks of cheddar, etc)

I have to agree with you 100% on your comment. Some people do not like smoked trout because of the bones, but I love digging around for the meat, because it makes it so much more fun to eat. I am excited to go see my parents next week because my dad just caught a few trout and smoked them. They are saving me some for when I am there.

I have to agree with you 100% on your comment. Some people do not like smoked trout because of the bones, but I love digging around for the meat, because it makes it so much more fun to eat. I am excited to go see my parents next week because my dad just caught a few trout and smoked them. They are saving me some for when I am there.
The majority of trout around me for smoking is from a big fish and they are filleted and pin bone removed,there are a few whole fish smoked but the UK market seems to prefer bone less,maybe we are spoilt with some of the most expensive trout fishing available around us,and with the may fly out its busy season for the rivers

Back
Top Bottom