Have you tried spaghetti squash instead of spagetti?

Its really rather bland and doesn't taste as earthy or sweet as other squash. Its also more fragile. It works best with strongly flavoured sauces.

I actually just tried this a couple of nights ago. I really don't like vegetables, but am trying to eat lower carb so when I heard that spaghetti squash takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking with I thought this sounded good for me. I'm going to be honest, while they flavor ended up being good, I really missed the texture of actual pasta. I suppose that really isn't something you can replace with a vegetable though.

Something that I like to make when I don't want the heaviness of normal pasta is spaghetti squash.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm half Italian so regular pasta is an absolute staple in our household! But spaghetti squash is great too! You just roast it, and when you scrape out the flesh of the squash, it separates into noodle-like strands. It doesn't really have a flavor, so whatever sauce you have it with really is what flavors the dish. I do like it as a healthier alternative.

I've never tried this idea myself, but I have a friend that loves her spaghetti squash noodles, and I often see the concept used in a lot of food magazines. It's on my 'Gotta Make' list. :) I have also heard of 'spaghetti squash vegan lasagna', but am unsure of how the strands of squash could compare to mini 'sheets' of pasta. A Google-worthy search adventure, I think. Maybe I'll get adventurous tonight, lol.

I've never tried this idea myself, but I have a friend that loves her spaghetti squash noodles, and I often see the concept used in a lot of food magazines. It's on my 'Gotta Make' list. :) I have also heard of 'spaghetti squash vegan lasagna', but am unsure of how the strands of squash could compare to mini 'sheets' of pasta. A Google-worthy search adventure, I think. Maybe I'll get adventurous tonight, lol.

I actually made a zucchini lasagna and use slices of zucchini in place of the lasagna noodles. It was amazing and I didn't even miss the noodles. I haven't tried lasagna using spaghetti squash, so I can't comment on that, but I highly recommend zucchini.

I actually made a zucchini lasagna and use slices of zucchini in place of the lasagna noodles. It was amazing and I didn't even miss the noodles. I haven't tried lasagna using spaghetti squash, so I can't comment on that, but I highly recommend zucchini.

I think zucchini in a lasanga is an excellent idea, definitely. Great idea! I would definitely be in to trying that. You also just made me wonder about using eggplant slices as lasagna noodles, also. I would think that because of it's shape and the fact that it works so well in eggplant parmasean, that it might make quite a nifty noodle. :)

When you made your above-mentioned zucchini lasagna, what type(s) of cheese did you use, if I might ask?

I love spaghetti squash! I would rather have it tonight with my spaghetti than with my gluten free noodles, but it is currently not in stores here. During squash season I get a bunch and cook them at the same time. Then I freeze them to use later. I wish I still had some. I can't wait for squash season!

I think zucchini in a lasanga is an excellent idea, definitely. Great idea! I would definitely be in to trying that. You also just made me wonder about using eggplant slices as lasagna noodles, also. I would think that because of it's shape and the fact that it works so well in eggplant parmasean, that it might make quite a nifty noodle. :)

When you made your above-mentioned zucchini lasagna, what type(s) of cheese did you use, if I might ask?

Okay, I am a complete idiot. I was thinking about zucchini as I posted the above, but I did use eggplant! I was evidently having a rough day! Haha As far as cheeses go, I used goat cheese and then added some parmesan at the end.

Okay, I am a complete idiot. I was thinking about zucchini as I posted the above, but I did use eggplant! I was evidently having a rough day! Haha As far as cheeses go, I used goat cheese and then added some parmesan at the end.

Hey, no worries, lol! I have those moments myself, I think we all do. :wink:

Nice... the goat's cheese and parmesean. A question though: when you say, 'at the end', do you mean that you used the parm' as the top layer of cheese? Either way, it sounds good, but if so, I also really like the idea!

Last edited:
This is news/new to me. Spaghetti squash..It's the first time I am hearing about it. I know I have not been getting out a lot in recent months/years but surely I would have seen or heard of this. I can't wait to ask one of our national chefs if he's familiar with this. I am at work so one of my 'customers' just told me he has a second job. He says he's a 'chef' and of course I asked about this spaghetti and he has no idea what I am talking about not surprisingly.

Coincidentally I was just drooling over your pumpkin spaghetti recipe in the Recipe Challenge and it got me thinking if it would be possible to make spaghetti out of pumpkin or other squashes. I have done it with spiralized courgette before but not sure if pumpkin or squash would stand up to blanching.

Coincidentally I was just drooling over your pumpkin spaghetti recipe in the Recipe Challenge and it got me thinking if it would be possible to make spaghetti out of pumpkin or other squashes. I have done it with spiralized courgette before but not sure if pumpkin or squash would stand up to blanching.
Yes it is. In fact Tesco's sell it ready made for you!!!!

squash spaghetti.jpg

Not sure whether to be quite chuffed about coming up with a good idea or miffed that Tesco got there first
I think that spiralising has become one of those 'on trend' things. Like smoothies.... which I am literally sick of reading about and seeing recipes for!:D
I bought a cheap spiraliser and I do use it occasionally, though.

I think that spiralising has become one of those 'on trend' things. Like smoothies.... which I am literally sick of reading about and seeing recipes for!:D
I bought a cheap spiraliser and I do use it occasionally, though.
Totally agree. Bought a spiraliser last year, used it a couple of times then lost it at the back of a cupboard. Love the principle but in real life end up reaching for the 00 flour

Totally agree. Bought a spiraliser last year, used it a couple of times then lost it at the back of a cupboard. Love the principle but in real life end up reaching for the 00 flour
You make your own pasta? Not many people here seem to do that. I do it sometimes and have a pasta machine for rolling and cutting. I was thinking of making ravioli filled with pumpkin and 'something else yet to be determined' for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge.

You make your own pasta? Not many people here seem to do that. I do it sometimes and have a pasta machine for rolling and cutting. I was thinking of making ravioli filled with pumpkin and 'something else yet to be determined' for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge.
Yes, I bought a pasta machine a couple of years ago. Don't use it that often but when I make the effort it is well worth it Have a recipe somewhere for ravioli filled with pumpkin puree. Sage leaves figured in it too. Will try and find it.

Back
Top Bottom