"Healthy" cookies for breakfast

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
5:39 PM
I used to make homemade granola bars quite often when my kids were little. It was just a variation of a good, oatmeal, cookie recipe that I had. It was a healthier version than most cookies, so I just made them into bars with fruits and nuts and oats. The kids loved them.

What do you think? Would you eat cookies for breakfast?

Depends what you mean by healthy. There are lots of bars sold here in the UK which are marketed as 'breakfast bars'. Whilst they may contain 'healthy' ingredients such as nuts and dried fruit, they also contain hefty amounts of sugar. I wouldn't eat them for breakfast or probably any time! But then I don't eat breakfast (ok, I know what they say) and I haven't got a sweet tooth. I've tried making bars for my family without using sugar. Do they like them? Have a guess....

I am really not a breakfast person even though I try sometimes and I honestly don't think healthy when I think cookies. Still if there was something around on mornings that looked like a cookie and was not loaded with sugar, I'd still grab one to get me started but I don't see that happening for long.

The title immediately caught my attention. Who would like cookies for breakfast? I would definitely eat cookies for breakfast. They would taste perfect with my morning coffee. Now I probably wouldn't do it all the time but I would definitely do it. Sounds aware to me.

I have also made a healthier version of an oatmeal cookie with increased fiber amounts in the cookie, less sugar to make sure the guys had something to eat and got the fiber they need. I liked it and so did my family I have to start to make those cookies again. Once they are made you do not have to think about eating breakfast or a quick snack for a few days if they last that long. Eat 2 cookies have a glass of water, coffee or milk and you are full for a few hours.

I do not have a problem with eating healthy cookies, but I prefer not to eat anything too sweet on mornings, since it has a tendency to make me sluggish. I would prefer to eat the cookies for lunch or dinner. I guess if they were light sweet, I could still consider using them for breakfast, but just a small amount. I like to stay alert early on in the day so as to get chores done.

Many years ago when my children were small, I use to make a breakfast cookie that they all liked. It had eggs, of course, along with bacon and orange juice and wheat germ. They were easy to make, but because of the bacon in them, I stored them in the refrigerator. On mornings when we over slept these little cookies were great accompanied by a glass of milk. All the kids loved them and would sometimes have one for a snack after school with milk. This recipe is very similar to the one I used to make::

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 6 strips bacon or veggie bacon, cooked very crisp, drained and crumbled (I used veggie bacon and it worked just fine)
  • 1/2 cup Grape-Nuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a medium bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, orange juice concentrate and peel, until light and fluffy. Add flour and baking powder, beating until well blended.

3. .Stir in bacon and cereal, stirring only until incorporated.

4. Using an ice cream scoop (I used a big one), drop 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

5. .Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove cookies from sheets while still warm and cool on racks.

Depends what you mean by healthy. There are lots of bars sold here in the UK which are marketed as 'breakfast bars'. Whilst they may contain 'healthy' ingredients such as nuts and dried fruit, they also contain hefty amounts of sugar. I wouldn't eat them for breakfast or probably any time! But then I don't eat breakfast (ok, I know what they say) and I haven't got a sweet tooth. I've tried making bars for my family without using sugar. Do they like them? Have a guess....

That's the first thing I thought when I thought breakfast bars too. We have them here as well and a lot of the time like you said, whilst having things that could be deemed by some as healthy, they're ultimately candy bars in disguise a lot of the time!

I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable about eating things like that for breakfast if I'd made them myself - that way I can control exactly what's going into them!

I used to make homemade granola bars quite often when my kids were little. It was just a variation of a good, oatmeal, cookie recipe that I had. It was a healthier version than most cookies, so I just made them into bars with fruits and nuts and oats. The kids loved them.

What do you think? Would you eat cookies for breakfast?
I would eat cookies for breakfast. I mean people eat sweeet rolls and breakfast pastries or doughnuts for breakfast. A nice healthy cookie made out of granola and other additions like raisins would be better than some of those other treats that people like to eat in the morning. I would have no problem eating healthy cookies.

That's the first thing I thought when I thought breakfast bars too. We have them here as well and a lot of the time like you said, whilst having things that could be deemed by some as healthy, they're ultimately candy bars in disguise a lot of the time!

I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable about eating things like that for breakfast if I'd made them myself - that way I can control exactly what's going into them!

Exactly. So many of them really are more like candy bars. The pastries and things are so loaded with sugar that they should be desserts rather than breakfast foods. I think a "healthier' cookie or bar or muffin would be a much better substitute. Like you said, when you make it homemade, you get to control what goes into it. They can still be quite tasty. My kids thought of them as a treat, even though my breakfast cookies were much better for them than most of the supermarket offerings were. They still ask me to make them sometimes.

A cousin of mine who took up baking lessons gave us a can of homemade cookies that she baked. It is a mix of oatmeal with cassava (I forgot all the other ingredients but there are fruits like raisins). It's creamy and so nice for snacks. But when I ate some in the morning, I heard my stomach growling. I don't what it was but I had the feeling that the toilet is beckoning me. So I had stopped eating those nice cookies for breakfast although as I said, they were so good for snacks.

I would totally eat a healthy cookie for breakfast. My kids would love one with oatmeal, dried fruit and a few chocolate chips. We are always so rushed in the morning , I wish I had time to make them a hot breakfast. Our school mornings usually consist of my kids having time to guzzle a yogurt drink or smoothie and they are out the door. If I could add a healthy cookie to that it would be great added energy for them.

A cousin of mine who took up baking lessons gave us a can of homemade cookies that she baked. It is a mix of oatmeal with cassava (I forgot all the other ingredients but there are fruits like raisins). It's creamy and so nice for snacks. But when I ate some in the morning, I heard my stomach growling. I don't what it was but I had the feeling that the toilet is beckoning me. So I had stopped eating those nice cookies for breakfast although as I said, they were so good for snacks.
Smart move Corzhens.

I would totally eat a healthy cookie for breakfast. My kids would love one with oatmeal, dried fruit and a few chocolate chips. We are always so rushed in the morning , I wish I had time to make them a hot breakfast. Our school mornings usually consist of my kids having time to guzzle a yogurt drink or smoothie and they are out the door. If I could add a healthy cookie to that it would be great added energy for them.

Sounds like my house when my kids were younger. I used to bake up a big batch on the weekends, so I'd have enough to get through the week. Well, that was the idea anyway. It didn't always work, depending on how many of them ended up being after school snacks as well.

School mornings can be tough with multiple kids!

Back
Top Bottom