Healthy Resolutions 2019

I was recently found to be low on potassium and I have an issue with atrial fibrillation so I now thake a suppllment.

Re salt, I must dig up the thread about the 'the salt myth' - you may find that interesting.

I have afib as well, and have been told to avoid salt since my ankles swell up. Taking a diuretic for that. Thankfully, I'm not much of a salt eater.

Is your supplement an off the shelf one or a prescription one? I'm just curious incase we do return to the UK at the end of 4 years. And what level of potassium does it give you. I have to take 2,400mg potassium a day unless I'm ill in which case it's much higher .

I was on a potassium drip in hospital but now I'm taking off the shelf. I haven't found out from my doctor if I could get them on prescription. The ones I'm taking are 300mg - so I'd have to take 8 tablets a day to get 2,400mg!

I was on a potassium drip in hospital but now I'm taking off the shelf. I haven't found out from my doctor if I could get them on prescription. The ones I'm taking are 300mg - so I'd have to take 8 tablets a day to get 2,400mg!
Yep, I've been on as high as 9 a day (of the 600mg type). I hate them but if I only needed one or two at 300mgm then I'd look at the blackstrap molasses option . You only need 1tbp to get 300mg of potassium. It's also a good source of iron and other minerals .

I'm on the loose weight side of things as well but am going through episodes of extreme tiredness and end up eating to stay awake during the day . Plus over Christmas we have our wedding anniversary and two days later 2 family birthdays so just keeping the same weight isn't easy and I didn't bit I only put 1kg on. However I need to lose 10kg this year after my operation last year which caused me to put it on .

So losing weight and we are doing an eat out of the cupboards month because we have way too much in them and need the space back . But it's been much more of an eat out of the freezer month so far ,but that's OK. The freezer needs emptying as well!
We have 2 X large chest freezers and 2 normal fridges and a half half free standing. We might take a while to empty ours,lol.

Russ

The B12 I take comes in 12 ounce bottles and usually has hops as an ingredient.:drink::woot:
I'll take a pic of what I use. Don't know ingredients. The alternative my doc was an injection boost. I don't like needles. I don't mind giving blood but don't like stuff injected into my body.

Russ

I don't use salt, I believe it's bad for you. I have salt on the table for any one else. I use lots of pepper though.
The only exception is salt on a tomatoes on toast. And corn on the cob. In foil with butter and salt and wrapped. Done on the BBQ.

Russ

We have 2 X large chest freezers and 2 normal fridges and a half half free standing. We might take a while to empty ours,lol.

Russ
We have about half that for 2 of us. we're about to get a bar fridge to keep the eggs in because they are taking up too much space in the main fridge (there are currently 10-12 dozen), plus it would allow for us to keep the green waste bin in the bar fridge rather than the main fridge before it is transferred to the composting bins. We can't keep it out of the fridge and walking to the compost bin every time we have organic waste is too much for me, so we have a dedicated bright green plastic container with clip lid which is odour and ant proof (plus other unwanted insects like cockroaches). It takes up about 1/3 to 1/2 of a large gap shelf and gets emptied twice a week minimum. It being in a dedicated fridge would be brilliant.

We have about half that for 2 of us. we're about to get a bar fridge to keep the eggs in because they are taking up too much space in the main fridge (there are currently 10-12 dozen), plus it would allow for us to keep the green waste bin in the bar fridge rather than the main fridge before it is transferred to the composting bins. We can't keep it out of the fridge and walking to the compost bin every time we have organic waste is too much for me, so we have a dedicated bright green plastic container with clip lid which is odour and ant proof (plus other unwanted insects like cockroaches). It takes up about 1/3 to 1/2 of a large gap shelf and gets emptied twice a week minimum. It being in a dedicated fridge would be brilliant.

Interesting you put eggs in fridge, I was brought up with the same mentality. I don't know why I changed but It may have been when my daughter bought an egg wooden box. It sits on the bench. They never go off. We eat a lot of eggs. Recently away I couldn't believe how many we ate. Family of 4 adults 3 kids for 12 days. 11 dozen. I couldn't believe it.

Russ

Interesting you put eggs in fridge, I was brought up with the same mentality. I don't know why I changed but It may have been when my daughter bought an egg wooden box. It sits on the bench. They never go off. We eat a lot of eggs. Recently away I couldn't believe how many we ate. Family of 4 adults 3 kids for 12 days. 11 dozen. I couldn't believe it.

Russ
In the UK I didn't bother putting eggs in the fridge unless it was very cold outside (below -10C) in which case the fridge was preventing them from freezing.
In Australia, we are getting several months of the year where daytime temperatures are above 35C. Eggs start to develope at 37C and I don't have space in the kitchen to store eggs on the counter (which had only reached 31C so far this summer) so the most obvious place to store them would and is easily above that temperature quite a bit each day and I have a rooster. I turned vegetarian for a reason and killing a developing bird is not something I want to do again . I made that mistake once when candling developing eggs when I made the wrong call (the eggs had obviously set several days later than the rest delaying their development). So here in summer at least and with the size of Australian fridges, we keep them in the fridge. Usually there is enough space, but not always . Plus it takes several days before they make it to the fridge because we only put full dozens in the fridge , a part dozen stays on the counter until full and at present with the heatwave we've just had, the storms we are having currently and 5 of my girls broody, I'm not actually taking many eggs compared to my flock size (but eggs are not the reason I keep chickens) .

In the UK I didn't bother putting eggs in the fridge unless it was very cold outside (below -10C) in which case the fridge was preventing them from freezing.
In Australia, we are getting several months of the year where daytime temperatures are above 35C. Eggs start to develope at 37C and I don't have space in the kitchen to store eggs on the counter (which had only reached 31C so far this summer) so the most obvious place to store them would and is easily above that temperature quite a bit each day and I have a rooster. I turned vegetarian for a reason and killing a developing bird is not something I want to do again . I made that mistake once when candling developing eggs when I made the wrong call (the eggs had obviously set several days later than the rest delaying their development). So here in summer at least and with the size of Australian fridges, we keep them in the fridge. Usually there is enough space, but not always . Plus it takes several days before they make it to the fridge because we only put full dozens in the fridge , a part dozen stays on the counter until full and at present with the heatwave we've just had, the storms we are having currently and 5 of my girls broody, I'm not actually taking many eggs compared to my flock size (but eggs are not the reason I keep chickens) .

My sons just bought a chicken coop. Never stocked it as we went away on our hols. He's buying 5 and they are pre named. Some from this site,lol. We bought some free range eggs while away and the yolks were unbelievably so orange.

Russ

My sons just bought a chicken coop. Never stocked it as we went away on our hols. He's buying 5 and they are pre named. Some from this site,lol. We bought some free range eggs while away and the yolks were unbelievably so orange.

Russ

Great fun keeping chickens. The colour of the yolk will depend on what they eat although I think some breeds produce deeper coloured yolks (I may be wrong). some farmed free-range eggs add marigold to the chicken feed to achieve the colour. Check out this thread: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/artifical-food-colouring-in-egg-yolks.8337/page-4

Russ
The one thing that is said time and time again about the eggs we get is not their colour but the size of the yolk, that is after people get over the fact that the shells are blue or green with the occasional brown or white one. Our yolks tend to be bright yellow, as in sunshine yellow ,just because of what they eat. One girl doors produce pale yellow eggs but again that is simply because she won't eat corn from which the colouring of all the other eggs come from.
Plus we have bantams so we get tiny half sized eggs as well. There's nothing wrong with them ,that's the size they are meant to be because the bantams are much smaller chickens and mine are true bantams so they are tiny, like miniature chickens (which is what they are) .

Back
Top Bottom