Help choose a dish for the next 'Cookalong'

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:23 PM
The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be reasonably specific not generic terms such as ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ or 'pizzas', for example. There are no winners - its simply a chance to share experience. The chosen dish needs to present something of a 'challenge' rather than being something most of us know how to make.

Here are the dishes we have chosen for the previous Cookalongs - in date order (oldest first)

Coq au Vin
Boeuf Bourguignon
Paella
Falafel
Chicken Kiev
Hungarian Goulash
Ravioli
Tarte Tatin
Chinese Dumplings
Deep Fried eggs
Soufflés and Fondants
Gumbo

So - suggestions please. Just add them to this thread and/or support suggestions made and we will somehow reach a decision in a few days time! Already suggested at the end of the last Cookalong was Jambalaya (probably too similar to the last Cookalong - Gumbo) and Paella. We have had paella once before but it was a long time ago and membership has changed since then.

Just to note, I went to a sauce-making cooking event last night with such a theme. Since there are the five French/European "mother" sauces and there were 8 of us attending, two of us (myself one of them) went Asian, and the last went dessert-themed. I'm thinking we could either decide on a specific "mother" sauce, or we each let ourselves do our own choice or choices.

I like the idea of a noodle broth. Its broad enough to be vegan, wide enough to include Thai foodie Vietnamese food (or Korean etc) and van be adapted to all tastes.
Easy enough to make with a veg broth premade or more complex if you want to make everything from scratch including the noodles (egg noodle, flat white, rice, and so on).

I like the idea of a noodle broth. Its broad enough to be vegan, wide enough to include Thai foodie Vietnamese food (or Korean etc) and can be adapted to all tastes.
Easy enough to make with a veg broth premade or more complex if you want to make everything from scratch including the noodles (egg noodle, flat white, rice, and so on).

I think its too generic and probably too easy for the Cookalong (unless everyone makes their own noodles from scratch). It would be fine for the Dish of the Month.

Back
Top Bottom