Help choose 'Dish of the month' for October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both sound really good suggestions. Fondue definitely gets my vote as I've never made one! And I'm sure you can fondue with beer so that fits the current recipe challenge.
I posted my cheese fondue recipe in the above challenge. So I vote for fondue. LOL

I would love to see fondue recipes for hot broth and hot oil fondues. I have never tried either of those. Likewise, I would also love to see dessert fondues. I haven't had any of those either.

OK - there is a meat fondue (often German) which is what I think you are describing:

Meat fondue can be either broth or oil-based depending on how you prefer to cook your meats and other sides. Oil fondus are heated to a temperature of 375F and cook food fairly quickly. Broth-based meat fondue is only brought to a simmer (195F-200F) and as such take longer to cook food. Keep this in mind when planning your party!
German Meat Fondue (Fleischfondue)

I think they are all similar enough - so lets say it can be any type of fondue

OK - there is a meat fondue (often German) which is what I think you are describing:

OH! Thank you. I have an electric fondue pot. But I was thinking of buying a single burner hot plate. The fondue pot really doesn't work so well and wouldn't get hot enough for the hot oil fondue. Plus would be great for table cooking.
(Getting old plays havoc on joints)

My wife calls that "Vietnam Hotpot".

I remember a Vietnamese restaurant in Kuala Lumpur where the "hotpot" soup dish was surrounded by a frying area. I can't remember what that was called.
Yeah the broth type is generally called hotpot, and the oil type fondue. That's why I mentioned both.

And both chocolate and cheese are fondues too.

I was just about to comment on other types of fondue, then everyone else beat me to it.

Around here, we have three types of fondue; melted cheese, hot broth/oil, and melted chocolate. From there, nearly endless variations.

One of my few dinner party forays, back in the early 2000’s, while extolling the virtues of fondue, I did host a three-course fondue night, starting with a traditional cheese fondue, with bread for dipping, then a course of beef and chicken cooked in simmering broth (potatoes on the side), and ending with a chocolate-peppermint fondue with little mini-cakes for dipping (I still have the specialty baking pan I bought for that - used just the once).

I did all that in a single Rival electric fondue pot, for five people.

I’ve made a variety of cheese fondues and dessert fondues over the years (butterscotch sauce and apples… 😋), but nowadays, we just stick to the usual Swiss one, with bread and sausages to dip, usually pickles and olives on the side.

Just to clarify, fondue is normally hot cheese into which you dip other morsels is it not?. I've had that type of fondue in the past but my experience generally has been a pot of hot oil used for cooking meat which is then coated in some form of sauce.
I agree with Yorky: I ´ve been to fondue parties where there are cheese fondues, meat fondues (hot oil, plate of meat cubes, lots of sauces) and even shrimp fondue.

I've used the hot oil style of fondue for shrimp, scallops and meats -- surf and turf. You cook the seafood/meat in the hot oil, and there are dipping sauces around the fondue pot.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom