Help choose 'dish of the month' July 2022

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:47 AM
'Dish of the Month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that if they wish, members can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive. So far we have had frittata, burgers, pizza and tortilla based dishes (included tacos), savoury pies, pasta salad, pancakes/waffles, gratins and kebabs, meatloaf, chilli, risotto, macaroni cheese and potato salad.

New suggestions are welcome but it needs to be a dish with fairly easily available ingredients in our various countries and a dish which offers the chance for different interpretations. Past suggestions have included eggs Benedict/royale, dumplings (any sort), Yorkshire puddings/popovers, pho, fruit tart.

Please feel free to support one of these suggestions or add new ones, with the above criteria in mind. We will make a decision based on which dish gets most mentions, so please join in and support a suggestion or come up with another idea.

Pies would work well here, because we have a lot of summer fruits in season right now (strawberries, peaches, etc), and I like that a pie can be sweet or savory, so it fits different cultures and different climates, so mark me down for pies! 🥧

Pies are good. As long as there are no restrictions on bases or sides.

Pies would work well here, because we have a lot of summer fruits in season right now (strawberries, peaches, etc), and I like that a pie can be sweet or savory, so it fits different cultures and different climates, so mark me down for pies!
Pancakes?

We have already had savoury pies and pancakes. Could members please check the top post before suggesting...

Fruit (or sweet) pies/tarts would be a candidate.

I would vote for that. It's outside my comfort zone, since I rarely make sweet things, and it's nice to stretch myself.

Unfortunately, to be honest, that could mean that I don't end up making it. I can definitely see making a savory dish, though.

Now, tandoori does intrigue me. We could even expand that to include "Indian chicken dishes"...there are so many amazing preparations, and I haven't done them all yet. :) Or, is the idea here to pick a specific dish? If so, then I vote for tandoori.

I´m happy with pies or tandoori. Never touch oatmeal or rice pudding- revolting slimy stuff - , BBQ is a bit extensive (although I´m happy to offer something)

I´m happy with pies or tandoori.

Tandoori is a cooking technique not a dish so it would need to be a bit more specific. Same with barbecue and grill. I'm not trying to be negative - just steering discussion. There have to be some parameters or it becomes so broad that almost anything goes. Breakfast eggs is verging on too broad but it might be interesting to see what people come up with besides the obvious.

To summarise, so far we have the following suggestions:
  • Dumplings (any sort)
  • Yorkshire puddings/popovers
  • Pho
  • Fruit (or sweet) pies/ tarts
  • Breakfast eggs
  • Rice pudding
  • Oatmeal (the dish as in oat porridge, I think?)

Tandoori is a cooking technique not a dish so it would need to be a bit more specific. Same with barbecue and grill. I'm not trying to be negative - just steering discussion. There have to be some parameters or it becomes so broad that almost anything goes. Breakfast eggs is verging on too broad but it might be interesting to see what people come up with besides the obvious.

To summarise, so far we have the following suggestions:
  • Dumplings (any sort)
  • Yorkshire puddings/popovers
  • Pho
  • Fruit (or sweet) pies/ tarts
  • Breakfast eggs
  • Rice pudding
  • Oatmeal (the dish as in oat porridge, I think?)
Yeah porridge I meant. As far as I know Americans call that oatmeal? Not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom