Help choose 'dish of the month' July 2022

Here, we call them both the same thing. Not being funny/smart-mouthed, but here, “oats” would be what the horses eat.
The Dutch use ' oatmeal ' (different word in Dutch) too for the dish, so that's what confused me as I saw both porridge and oatmeal used for the same thing on the internet.

We call what horses eat haver, and oatmeal is ' havermout ' . And from there, oatmeal is a more natural translation for me than porridge , but indeed not what it's called in the UK.

I'd prefer dumplings, though I did make a while load of suggestions last month that are missing from here.

Sweet pies won't work here at the moment. The variety of fruit available at the moment is minimum and prices are not cheap. (2AUD is 1GBP)

Oranges are about the only thing at sensible prices.

I'll see if I can locate a few of last month's suggestions I made.

I’m really fine with anything. I’ll make it work, and if I can’t, I’ll sit on the sidelines and cheer.

OK, last month's suggestions
  • Stifatho - a Greek dish featuring traditionally beef or hare cooked in red wine & red wine vinegar with a serious quantity of cinnamon served over rice. (I make it with mushrooms).
  • Yorkshire pudding or toad in the hole
  • Pasties, as in Cornish pasty or cheese & onion pasty, so pretty much anything in a pasty shape with any filling you fancy. Great picnic food and will work in colder weather as well
  • Croissant or pain au chocolat (I'd love to try to make a vegan version, just need an excuse)
  • Börek, filo/phyllo pastry filled with pretty much anything really. Similar to a pasty but with phyllo and make the same size as a medium to large pizza and served in slices, hot or cold.
  • Balti, vegetable or beef or chicken etc
  • Tacos - I've found a recipe to make Jackfruit tacos,
  • Moroccan Tagine, doesn't need a dedicated tagine to cook it in and it's been a while since I cooked Moroccan.
  • Roulade, filled with pretty much anything and can be served hot or cold
  • A stir fry? Common enough that most people could participate.
  • Falafels, have we had them before?
  • Tamales & Mole, Mexican dish
  • Loaded or twice baked jacket potatoes, again common enough that most could easily participate
A few others that come to mind
  • Pho, Vietnamese soup dish consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs
  • Kare-kare, a Filipino thick stew made from oxtail, vegetables, and a peanut sauce.
  • Moussaka, typical greek dish
  • Spanakopita Greek dish made from flaky phyllo (also filo) pastry and filled with anything from aubergines or meat to greens or cheese. The most classic is the spanakopita – phyllo pastry layered with feta cheese and spinach.

I’m gettin’ overwhelmed with all the great suggestions!
At least somebody is! Lol.
I'm just trying to expand horizons and also to include all. Bourek or Spanakopita will work in all temperatures, as would dumplings. Must add the wrappers to this week's shopping list.

Thanks btw

OK, last month's suggestions
  • Stifatho - a Greek dish featuring traditionally beef or hare cooked in red wine & red wine vinegar with a serious quantity of cinnamon served over rice. (I make it with mushrooms).
  • Yorkshire pudding or toad in the hole
  • Pasties, as in Cornish pasty or cheese & onion pasty, so pretty much anything in a pasty shape with any filling you fancy. Great picnic food and will work in colder weather as well
  • Croissant or pain au chocolat (I'd love to try to make a vegan version, just need an excuse)
  • Börek, filo/phyllo pastry filled with pretty much anything really. Similar to a pasty but with phyllo and make the same size as a medium to large pizza and served in slices, hot or cold.
  • Balti, vegetable or beef or chicken etc
  • Tacos - I've found a recipe to make Jackfruit tacos,
  • Moroccan Tagine, doesn't need a dedicated tagine to cook it in and it's been a while since I cooked Moroccan.
  • Roulade, filled with pretty much anything and can be served hot or cold
  • A stir fry? Common enough that most people could participate.
  • Falafels, have we had them before?
  • Tamales & Mole, Mexican dish
  • Loaded or twice baked jacket potatoes, again common enough that most could easily participate
A few others that come to mind
  • Pho, Vietnamese soup dish consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs
  • Kare-kare, a Filipino thick stew made from oxtail, vegetables, and a peanut sauce.
  • Moussaka, typical greek dish
  • Spanakopita Greek dish made from flaky phyllo (also filo) pastry and filled with anything from aubergines or meat to greens or cheese. The most classic is the spanakopita – phyllo pastry layered with feta cheese and spinach.

Yorkshire pudding and pho are already on the list (see list above). Pasties were included in the previous CookingBites Dish of the Month (June): Savoury Pies & Pasties. Tacos have already been covered in the 'tortilla based dishes' Dish of the month (see top post)

I think some of these dishes you list may have been featured in the CookingBites Cookalong which is a slightly different concept and much more specific and technical.

Back
Top Bottom