Help decide the next CookingBites Cookalong dish

Hot water crust pasty is dead easy - its probably the simplest and most forgiving pastry there is :okay: I've only ever done it using a mould/tin though because I prefer to have thinner pastry than you get on a hand-raised pie.

Choux is also fun - especially as it can be made sweet or savoury.

Now I'm no longer on such a strict diet I'm looking forward to experimenting a bit more :D

I think choux pastry was on the list before as a possibility for the Cookalong - I've rarely seen anyone here post recipes using choux. I maybe cooked it once years ago (in the 80's!) to make profiteroles. As you say its also a good choice because it can be used sweet or savoury and in vegetarian dishes. So there is lots of scope.

Its also affordable to experiment with!

Some regional suggestions:

Fesenjan (Persian)
Jambalaya (Louisiana)
Stroganoff (Russian)
Chicken 'Cordon Bleu' (Swiss)

What about something simple, pics of brekkys lately got me thinking, how different would all our brekkys looked, mericans might be pancakes and maple syrup, Brits be cooked brekky. Mine might be something else.
We nearly all do breakfast. Prolly get a bigger turnout too.

Russ

What about something simple, pics of brekkys lately got me thinking, how different would all our brekkys looked, mericans might be pancakes and maple syrup, Brits be cooked brekky. Mine might be something else.
We nearly all do breakfast. Prolly get a bigger turnout too.

Russ

That would be a different type of thread - I believe there is one for breakfasts. Will look. This thread is to do with extending our skills in the kitchen and comparing notes on a particular dish/recipe/technique.

That would be a different type of thread - I believe there is one for breakfasts. Will look. This thread is to do with extending our skills in the kitchen and comparing notes on a particular dish/recipe/technique.

No drama, just throwing it out there after seeing some great brekky pics.

Russ

I love meatballs but perhaps they are too generic for the Cookalong - the dish needs to be a challenge. A regional or country specific dish or a technical challenge and more specific. Its not easy to come up with ideas - I'm still scratching my head.

Check out this meatball recipe from Gordon Ramsay

Now that would be a fun Cookalong

Its been a long time since the last Cookalong. It must be time for a new one!
The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be reasonably specific not generic terms such as ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ or 'pizzas', for example. There are no winners - its simply a chance to share experience. The chosen dish needs to present a 'challenge' rather than being something most of us know how to make.

I think a frittata cookalong would be awesome.

The frittata has an endless list of variations and several cooking methods - stovetop, baked, and half stovetop + half baked.

Here is Gordon Ramsay doing a Goat Cheese frittata.

I think a frittata cookalong would be awesome.

The frittata has an endless list of variations and several cooking methods - stovetop, baked, and half stovetop + half baked.

Here is Gordon Ramsay doing a Goat Cheese frittata.

You are right there are endless variations - just as there are with pizzas, meatballs, wraps. But I reckon everyone here must know how to make a frittata. Its not really enough of a challenge for this Cookalong. As Gordon himself says at the end of the video - 'this easy cook dish'.

We have had other threads about more generic dishes such as meatballs, pizzas etc. So perhaps we should start a new thread about frittatas and invite members to make a frittata and put forward their photos.

I agree, it does need to be 'challenging'. Maybe a Wellington? It wouldn't have to be beef - as long as it was encased in puff pastry and generally followed the principles of cooking a Wellington. It could be any meat, fish or even vegetarian.

Jambalaya, Stroganoff and Corbon Bleu are dishes that we wouldn't find hard to make as we have made them previously. Arepas or empanadas might be fun.

I am definitely in favor of something challenging. I'll be honest, I've made puff pastry and pate a choux (sweet and savory) so neither would be particularly challenging for me personally, but they are fun to do when I'm in the mood and definitely provide a sense of accomplishment. Plus, as somebody mentioned, they are easy on the budget. I do intend to make the yeasted puff pastry @morning glory posted regardless to see if it's the same as my memory of other croissants from long ago.

I'm going to throw something else in the mix too. Molecular gastronomy, specifically caviar making as that seems to be the easiest to start with. The caviar can be made from any liquid so flavor profiles and uses are endless. The materials/equipment to do this are fairly inexpensive unless you go crazy, like $20 - 25 USD ish. If anybody is interested, I'll get my book out and we can narrow down costs. I know exactly what I'll make first, clear tomato soup with basil caviar and parm fricos.

Last edited:
Molecular gastronomy, specifically caviar making as that seems to be the easiest to start with. The caviar can be made from any liquid so flavor profiles and uses are endless. The materials/equipment to do this are fairly inexpensive unless you go crazy, like $20 - 25 USD ish. If anybody is interested, I'll get my book out and we can narrow down costs. I know exactly what I'll make first, clear tomato soup with basil caviar and parm fricos.

I have tried it a few years ago and have basic ingredients somewhere. I'd certainly have another go - but (maybe I'm wrong), I'm not sure many others would join us. Anyone care to respond? Maybe its worth punting a general thread about it to see.

Back
Top Bottom