Help decide the next CookingBites Cookalong dish

About 18 months ago we went to a rather post hotel in Wales for our 20th wedding anniversary. The chef was great at adapting his dishes for us (no gluten for him and no dairy/meat for me). We love all food but medically cant have everything. So, the chef made strawberries and merengue with jelly, sorbet etc. A different combination each day. The best item was the strawberry caviar. Explosions of intense strawberry flavour. I plan to attempt this when I have so are money for the tools.

You'd only need a caviar spoon (or even just a spoon with small holes) or a syringe like you'd use to inject meat, probably cheaper than one marked for molecular gastronomy, but basically the same piece of equipment, plus whatever chemicals you'd need. I'd have to look in the book to see what's needed for fruit caviar.

I have tried it a few years ago and have basic ingredients somewhere. I'd certainly have another go - but (maybe I'm wrong), I'm not sure many others would join us. Anyone care to respond? Maybe its worth punting a general thread about it to see.
This is completely new to me, therefore a challenge so count me in!

Its impossible to please everyone given different skills levels and experience. But here is what we have:

There are 3 members who voted in favour of molecular gastronomy (possibly 4 if @Herbie can obtain equipment)
There are 5 members who voted in favour of choux pastry (although not such a challenge for @medtran49)
There are 3 members who would join in with Wellington.

So for this Cookalong, choux pastry is most popular. We can always either start a molecular gastronomy thread or save it for a future Cookalong (or both). We can save Wellington for a future thread.

Last edited:
I've been looking at ways to make caviar. You can use a syringe or a small to medium size squeeze bottle to drop the flavored liquid into the setting bath, even drips off your fingertips. A slotted spoon to fish the caviar out of the setting bath and the rinsing bath. I'm sure most of us already have slotted or mesh spoons, and a lot of us probably have squeeze bottles, and we all have fingertips I'm pretty sure. :D

Depending on method and type of liquid you are using would need:

Agar-agar, which I noticed our local Asian market actually had at our last visit when I was looking in the spice aisle. Vegetable oil for the setting bath.

Sodium alginate and Calcium lactate.

I'm just noting this here for future reference in case some of us decide to do this so I don't have to look it up again. I actually have everything in the kit I got for Christmas in 2017, so I may give it a go shortly.

Last edited:
Its impossible to please everyone given different skills levels and experience. But here is what we have:

There are 3 members who voted in favour of molecular gastronomy (possibly 4 if @Herbie can obtain equipment)
There are 5 members who voted in favour of choux pastry (although not such a challenge for @medtran49)
There are 3 members who would join in with Wellington.

So for this Cookalong, choux pastry is most popular. We can always either start a molecular gastronomy thread or save it for a future Cookalong (or both). We can save Wellington for a future thread.

At least I'll have an excuse to make gougeres...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom