Help! My falafel are falling apart

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
3:39 AM
Hi everyone, I made this falafel recipe twice. Both times, the falafel are falling apart! I tried pulsing them on the food processor longer the second time, but they still fall apart. When I try to shape them I end up with bits of falafel dough everywhere and they keep falling apart inside the air fryer or while frying. What could I be doing wrong? Any tips?

Hi everyone, I made this falafel recipe twice. Both times, the falafel are falling apart! I tried pulsing them on the food processor longer the second time, but they still fall apart. When I try to shape them I end up with bits of falafel dough everywhere and they keep falling apart inside the air fryer or while frying. What could I be doing wrong? Any tips?

How long did you let the dough to rest? Maybe it depends on this. Usually I let it to rest in the fridge 40-60 mins so it will compact.

I noticed this recipe has the following paragraph:

If the balls won't hold together, place the mixture back in the processor again and continue processing to make it more paste-like. Keep in mind that the balls will be delicate at first; if you can get them into the hot oil, they will bind together and stick. If they still won't hold together, you can try adding 2-3 tbsp of flour or chickpea flour to the mixture. If they still won't hold, add 1-2 eggs to the mix. This should fix any issues you are having.

To me this rings alarm bells as it suggests that what you have experienced is a problem which has arisen before with this recipe.

This is a rather old article but you may find it useful: How to cook the perfect falafel

1) Falafel will only work if you soak dried chickpeas overnight. No tins, no cooked chickpeas.
2) Air friers are useless for making falafel. You need hot oil. In a deep pan.
This is how I do it:
  • soak the chickpeas overnight, then drain and rinse
  • blitz in a food processor with parsley, a pinch of cumin, garlic, salt
  • wet you hands. take a golf-ball portion of the mixture and form a ball. modify the format if you want, but I just stick to golf-ball shapes. You can make them into "rissole" shapes if you want.
  • Heat the oil to 350 - 375F and drop a falafel into the oil. It should sink, then rise to the surface.
  • Cook for about 5-8 minutes, turning frequently

karadekoolaid I always use dried, soaked chickpeas. The falafel fell apart either in hot oil or the air fryer - the end result was the same with both methods...

Morning Glory I'll try your recipe next time, thank you!

@karadekoolaid I always use dried, soaked chickpeas. The falafel fell apart either in hot oil or the air fryer - the end result was the same with both methods...
Great - I think it might be the heat of the oil, then - unless your chickpea mixture is too dry. What was your recipe, LissaC?

Back
Top Bottom