Help with buying American ingredients

heisann999

Local time
4:12 PM
Hello,

I enjoy exploring and trying out American recipes, but it can be difficult to get hold of the right ingredients here in Norway. Some of them are also difficult to order via Internet, because few American stores ship to Norway. And if they do, shipping costs are extremely high.
I want to make contact with a private person in the USA who are willing to help me buying some typical American ingredients and ship them to me. I will of course pay for both the ingredients and for the postage. Maybe we can exchange recipes as well? I would love that. :)
Please, get in touch! Thanks! :)

Hello. Sending ingredients from person to person overseas is very expensive. From my own experience, it is even more than shipping costs from an internet store.

I know there are some Europeans on the forum who have found ingredients from all over the world online. They may have suggestions.

If we know what you want, we may be able to suggest substitutions for those ingredients that you can get.

CD

I am also wondering what is regarded as typical American ingredients? I think I keep a lot of the same stuff on hand that forum members in other countries have.

Hello,

I enjoy exploring and trying out American recipes, but it can be difficult to get hold of the right ingredients here in Norway. Some of them are also difficult to order via Internet, because few American stores ship to Norway. And if they do, shipping costs are extremely high.
I want to make contact with a private person in the USA who are willing to help me buying some typical American ingredients and ship them to me. I will of course pay for both the ingredients and for the postage. Maybe we can exchange recipes as well? I would love that. :)
Please, get in touch! Thanks! :)

When I want things from the US, if the direct shipping is too high, then I use 'freight forwarding'. In Singapore, we have a service called Vpost which gives me an address in the US. Many online stores have free continental US shipping depending on the amount so once enough items have accumulated at my address, I then pay one price to have them sent to Singapore. It's still not very cheap, but cheaper than direct shipping for multiple items. I imagine there might be a similar provider in Norway.

I am also wondering what is regarded as typical American ingredients? I think I keep a lot of the same stuff on hand that forum members in other countries have.

Couple of things unobtainable here:

Old Bay seasoning
Marion Kay chicken coating
Baconnaise (which I admit was a mistake)

I've seen that very recipe, but wanted to try the real thing. Otherwise, how do you know if the copycat is any good? :)

Lazada (Thailand) have "Old Bay Seasoning". It's likely that Lazada (Singapore) and Lazada (Malaysia) have it also.

1651214174243.png

Couple of things unobtainable here:

Old Bay seasoning
Marion Kay chicken coating
Baconnaise (which I admit was a mistake)
I am not familiar with Marion Kay or baconnaise.

I am not familiar with Marion Kay or baconnaise.

I hadn't either until I went deep down the rabbit hole of trying to recreate KFC. Marion Kay makes the original KFC herb/spice mix and sells it as 99-X (I bought a small container of it).

KFC Original Recipe - Wikipedia

"It is well attested that Harland Sanders asked Bill Summers of Marion-Kay Spices in Brownstown, Indiana, US to recreate his secret blend of 11 herbs and spices.[20] Sanders recommended the Marion-Kay seasoning to franchisees over the corporate version, as he believed the latter had been made inferior by the corporation's inattention.[20] In 1982, after Sanders' death, KFC brought a lawsuit against Marion-Kay and the latter was barred from selling its mixture to KFC franchises.[20] The Marion-Kay seasoning is still sold under the name "99-X," and according to Sanders biographer Josh Ozersky, it is indistinguishable from the original KFC recipe.[20]"

As for Baconnaise, well it's not really worth knowing about. It's supposedly a bacon-flavoured mayonnaise but tastes gross.

I hadn't either until I went deep down the rabbit hole of trying to recreate KFC. Marion Kay makes the original KFC herb/spice mix and sells it as 99-X (I bought a small container of it).

KFC Original Recipe - Wikipedia

"It is well attested that Harland Sanders asked Bill Summers of Marion-Kay Spices in Brownstown, Indiana, US to recreate his secret blend of 11 herbs and spices.[20] Sanders recommended the Marion-Kay seasoning to franchisees over the corporate version, as he believed the latter had been made inferior by the corporation's inattention.[20] In 1982, after Sanders' death, KFC brought a lawsuit against Marion-Kay and the latter was barred from selling its mixture to KFC franchises.[20] The Marion-Kay seasoning is still sold under the name "99-X," and according to Sanders biographer Josh Ozersky, it is indistinguishable from the original KFC recipe.[20]"

As for Baconnaise, well it's not really worth knowing about. It's supposedly a bacon-flavoured mayonnaise but tastes gross.
I had no idea about the KFC. I would have guessed the baconnaise thing though, it doesn't sound good.

Back
Top Bottom