Help with ingredients.

I wouldn´t worry too much about how many teaspoons, etc. Tamarind paste ( if that´s what you´ve got) is pretty intense. I´d start with 1 tbsp and take it from there; since the paste goes into the initial puree, add 1 tbsp, taste the paste, add another, etc., until you´re happy with the sweet/sour/spicy balance. Just check to make sure your tamarind paste has no added sugar. If it does, you can use it instead of the sugar in the recipe.
There´s only one Indian recipe I can think of where the tamarind really comes through as sour, and that´s katte baingan - Himalayan sweet/sour aubergines. Like I suggest above, start with 1 tbsp then increase the amount to taste. Your recipe serves 4, so if you´re making it just for you, you´ll only need 1 oz.

I wouldn´t worry too much about how many teaspoons, etc. Tamarind paste ( if that´s what you´ve got) is pretty intense. I´d start with 1 tbsp and take it from there; since the paste goes into the initial puree, add 1 tbsp, taste the paste, add another, etc., until you´re happy with the sweet/sour/spicy balance. Just check to make sure your tamarind paste has no added sugar. If it does, you can use it instead of the sugar in the recipe.
There´s only one Indian recipe I can think of where the tamarind really comes through as sour, and that´s katte baingan - Himalayan sweet/sour aubergines. Like I suggest above, start with 1 tbsp then increase the amount to taste. Your recipe serves 4, so if you´re making it just for you, you´ll only need 1 oz.

I'm doing a half recipe so probably start with a scant two teaspoons.

Thanks for the advice.

You all blow me away. I love Indian food but have never made a serious attempt to cook it for myself. I have always been a little intimidated by the large assortment of spices. I need to get over myself and go for it. New Year's resolution - experiment with cooking Indian cuisine. Thank you all. You are a constant inspiration.

Thanks for the advice.
You are very welcome!
I started cooking Indian food in 1977, when my girlfriend gave me Jack Santamaria´s " Indian Vegetarian Cookery" as a present.
For the past 20 years, I´ve been giving courses, preparing Indian food for lunches, dinners and parties, berating Venezuelans because they don´t like spicy food, etc, etc. Ain´t given up yet!:D:D:D

You all blow me away. I love Indian food but have never made a serious attempt to cook it for myself
If you want some help, feel free to ask. I´ve been cooking authentic (ie. no curry powder) Indian food for over 30 years. I developed several courses on Indian food, including a "basic" one (which I´ve given over 50 times), a "slightly more advanced" one... well, plenty of them.
Don´t be daunted by the spices - it´s all a question of working through from the simplest to the more advanced.
Seriously, feel free to ask away!

Back
Top Bottom