Help with Leg of Lamb

Backbay

Über Member
Local time
10:42 AM
I will be cooking a leg of lamb tomorrow. The only lamb I have ever cooked is chops on the grill that had been marinated. Add to that, I do not like lamb so that puts a damper on my own creativity.

I looked through a few of the recipes listed and will continue to do so however, I was wondering if anyone had a fairly simple /easy recipe that they could send or direct me to? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Here is a simple recipe from Chef James Martin. I do something similar to this but also stuff anchovies into the slits with the rosemary (a common trick):

James Martin's Easter feast: My slow roast lamb

The essential directions here are for a leg of lamb of 2-2.5kg (4lb 8oz-5lb)
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/gas 4. Stud the lamb all over with rosemary and garlic cloves, then season and place in a large roasting tin.
  • Cook for around 3 hours or until the lamb is tender and cooked through. Remove the lamb from the oven and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes while you prepare your vegetables.

Last edited:
Here is a simple recipe from Chef James Martin. I do something similar to this but also stuff anchovies into the slits with the rosemary (a common trick):

James Martin's Easter feast: My slow roast lamb

The essential directions here are for a leg of lamb of 2-2.5kg (4lb 8oz-5lb)
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/gas 4. Stud the lamb all over with rosemary and garlic cloves, then season and place in a large roasting tin.
  • Cook for around 3 hours or until the lamb is tender and cooked through. Remove the lamb from the oven and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes while you prepare your vegetables.
MG, this is pretty much what I was looking for - thank you so much!
I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Thank you !

I've never roasted a leg of lamb before, but I would like to someday!! They are ridiculously expensive though!! :wink:

MG, this is pretty much what I was looking for - thank you so much!
I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Thank you !

I'm probably telling you what you already know but to stud the lamb, make quite deep cuts all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Into the cuts push slivers of garlic, anchovies (if using) and rosemary 'twigs'. When its cooked it should look something like this:

1587629202303.png

If you intend to make a gravy to go with it, it's useful to roast the joint on a trivet of vegetables (onion, carrot, celery, etc.) which will give you a great stock. Three hours sounds a long time, and would probably give you "well done" meat. I would typically go for 20 mins on high (200 degC) then cover with foil and turn down to 160 deg C for about an hour and a half, but then I prefer lamb leg more on the rare side. If you have a meat thermometer, aim for an internal temp somewhere between 58 and 65 deg C. You really can't go wrong with lamb - it is the easiest joint to cook. I always choose lamb if i'm eating out for Sunday lunch, as even the most incompetent pub chef would struggle to ruin it, unlike beef or pork. Hope you enjoy!

Well, I mis-spoke. It was not a “leg” of lamb rather it was a lamb loin roast.

Anyway, below is the finished product. My husband was quite happy with the end result. Thank you MG & Epicuric for your suggestions and help.

My photography is not up to snuff like many others here but, you get the idea.

Seasoned sear

After roasting - yes, husband likes it rare!

Anyway, below is the finished product. My husband was quite happy with the end result. Thank you MG & Epicuric for your suggestions and help.

Seasoned sear
View attachment 40045
View attachment 40046

Looks like a shoulder to me, the best piece, IMHO. I used to do the garlic thing as well but now I just rub some olive oil over it, salt n pepper and rosemary spread over it. I slow roast at 140 c for 3 hours.
Rest and make gravy from pan drippings. I'm doing one here as well in a day or so.

Russ

Seasoned sear
View attachment 40045
View attachment 40046
That looks great! Glad you enjoyed it. Ironically, after advising you on cooking times yesterday I went and overcooked a similar joint (a saddle). That will teach me not to take long phone calls whilst cooking!

Looks like a shoulder to me, the best piece, IMHO. I used to do the garlic thing as well but now I just rub some olive oil over it, salt n pepper and rosemary spread over it. I slow roast at 140 c for 3 hours.
Rest and make gravy from pan drippings. I'm doing one here as well in a day or so.

Russ
It's not shoulder. It's loin, cannon specifically. I do agree with your preference for shoulder though. By far the most flavoursome cut, but most people seem to avoid it because of its fat content.

Back
Top Bottom