Herb Garden

I would love my own herb garden too and I'm planning on creating one in the future. In fact, I want a herb wall. Look at them! Just imagine pulling a bit of something off your wall and getting it into your dish straight away.
arch-miele-7-537x357.jpg
Vertical-Indoor-Herb-Garden-Patio-Decorating.jpg
tumblr_lm0i4nx5fM1qfakt5o1_1280.jpg

Don't they look great! What does everyone else think?

I don't have a green thumb either. All of my herbs died and my strawberries as well. They were seeds though, I find if I buy sprouted plants then they last longer. I just need that extra help to keep my garden alive.

Yes, same I have tried to grow a few herbs before and it's not gone well. I've tried basil a few times and it's just died and I had sprouted plants...

OK - from my experience

Oregano prefers light sandy soil in full sun. It will tolerate cold winters once it is established, but will not survive harsh winters. In my old garden it thrived in the worst soil I had- very dry & sandy exposed to the full sun and coped with -10C in the winter. It spreads over time, and tends to grow to about 2 foot high. Anywhere that Marjoram grows well, Oregano will also grow well. Remember it is a mediterranean herb originally.

Garlic - needs much sun as well - the more the better. Soil is important with it prefering fertile soil which is well drain and not compact, so light and airy. I never really sucessfully managed to grow any decent sized garlic.

Parsley - needs full sun ideally. It needs good fertile soil and prefers (in my experience) damper soil. It needs water to prevent it running to seed. It is also a biennial which is one that takes 2 years to flower & seed. In the right soil & condition I have seen it grow to more than 5 foot tall!

Rosemary is reasonably easy to grow assuming that you don't have an excess of the beetle that kills the plant. It needs a warm sheltered spot, but I have found it will grow in only partial sun, though it is meant to be a full sun herb as well. With time, rosemary bushes grow really large and also spread out a long way. Again it is a mediterranean herb, so think of those conditions, but it has surprised me, surviving snow and -10C conditions once established.

Chives & sage will pretty much grow anywhere from experience. Both tolerate full shade conditions, but prefer sunshine, but I have seen chives wilt in excessive heat & sun, so your spot sounds ideal for them.

Thyme is another really useful one to grow, if you can get hold of common thyme (I hate lemon thyme). It again prefers full sun, in well drained soil, but will handle partial shade but not freezing conditions.

All of the above will not cope well with waterlogged soil. If your soil is not well drained, you may need to add sand or other suitable material to it to assist the herbs, or grow them in pots.

It's great to hear advice like this! I appreciate it a lot. I've been interested in creating my own herb garden in my home since the beginning of this year. My family and I had just recently started our journey into living a healthier lifestyle.

I'll take your advice into consideration. Wish me luck on my home garden!

The previous homeowners in my current house had a small herb garden which took me more than a year to discover. I have a rosemary bush that is easily five feet high before I cut it back at the end of summer.

Also in there is some sweet oregano and some transplanted spearmint that was probably an accident.

When I first noticed it, I started trying the oregano or rosemary in as many dishes as possible. And I've come to the conclusion that I do not like rosemary, and I prefer spicy to sweet oregano.

I have a completely new plan for this summer. I'm going to do a container garden. I'm only going to grow the veggies and herbs my family eats - and I plan to do pot pairings that also make sense on the table. So, tomatoes and basil in one pot. Green peppers and cilantro together.

I could put spicy oregano on just about anything, so I'll be planting a heavy portion of that. I'd like to make and can (or freeze) my own pesto this year. It will be my first try with growing onions and garlic.

Back
Top Bottom