Herb oils

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
9:21 AM

I know we've had many threads on using oils, but does anyone actually make their own herb oils? Having been served some home made parsley oil whilst on holiday recently I am keen to have a go at making some. We have a glut of parsley in the garden, and some good quality olive oil brought back from Cyprus, but I can't believe it's simply a case of combining the two. Also, how long would it keep?

I have only done a garlic infused OO. I did not use EVOO -- I was primarily going to use it for cooking, not finishing. I am thinking about doing a basil infusion when we are getting close to the first freeze, when the basil plant will die. I'm wondering if parsley will have enough flavor to make a difference.

To make my garlic oil, I just put peeled garlic cloves in a jar of oil. I agitated it every day or two. I can't remember how long it took, or how long it lasted. Sorry.

CD

Usually, any herb oils I make are for the moment. I'll pour some oil over some fresh chopped herbs, let it sit for an hour or so, then eat it with bread, mainly.

Garlic oil, I'll heat the oil and garlic together, let it cool, then strain it. I think that's better, as far as storage goes, than leaving the slices of garlic in it.

I have no idea of shelf life, but I wouldn't think it'd be very long.

View attachment 47581

I know we've had many threads on using oils, but does anyone actually make their own herb oils? Having been served some home made parsley oil whilst on holiday recently I am keen to have a go at making some. We have a glut of parsley in the garden, and some good quality olive oil brought back from Cyprus, but I can't believe it's simply a case of combining the two. Also, how long would it keep?

They keep for ages and ages because the oil acts as a preservative. Here is a recipe for parsley oil I posted last year:

Recipe - Parsley Oil

That's so bright! I've got lots of herbs to harvest from a friends garden (they have gone away for a while). There is lots of basil I can make oil with. Basil will need harvesting before the first frost. I think there is thai basil too.

The sage I'll try and repot for her. I'll have to see what else there is.

Thanks for the tip.

From what I've read, briefly blanch then chill the herb (10-20 secs), blitz with oil then strain through muslin. Removing the leaves will keep the oil longer. Huge bunch of parsley picked, so will start the process later.

From what I've read, briefly blanch then chill the herb (10-20 secs), blitz with oil then strain through muslin. Removing the leaves will keep the oil longer. Huge bunch of parsley picked, so will start the process later.

Partially freeze the parsley once blanched and before blitzing. Not sure what you mean by removing the leaves? They get removed by straining.

I've never made herb oils - only oil and herb sauces - but I found an interesting recipe on a Finnish site (link). It tells to pour the oil first, add rinsed and pat-dried herbs and spices, put a couple of cloves (flower buds) and horseradish chips into the bottle to prevent spoilage, keep the mixture in room temperature for two days and transfer to a cooler place (+10-15ºC) for 4-5 days. Then sieve (strain) the oil, keep it cool and use within a couple of weeks.

some good quality olive oil brought back from Cyprus,
Personally mate I would not mess with the olive oil, we drizzle good quality Croatian olive oil on everything without a pulse. I would buy some cheap euro blend for your parsley.

but does anyone actually make their own herb oils?
I grew mountains of flat leaf and crinkle parsley in the UK. The roots are the hidden jewel in the crown as with coriander.
Parsley root looks deceivingly like a parsnip with its tapered shape, light beige skin, and roughened with furrowed textures. The root can grow up to six inches long with a diameter of two inches or so; it is sometimes found double-rooted. Parsley root has a crisp, yet tender texture when raw and a smooth and creamy texture once cooked. The taste of Parsley root is likened to a combination of celeriac, parsley and carrot. The tuber is very aromatic and is sometimes used as an herb. The entire Parsley plant, roots and greens, is edible.

Parsley root looks deceivingly like a parsnip with its tapered shape, light beige skin, and roughened with furrowed textures. The root can grow up to six inches long with a diameter of two inches or so; it is sometimes found double-rooted.

Yes - I've bought it before from Ocado. Its a very delicious thing. I think I may have posted about it here...
... here we go: Parsley Root

Back
Top Bottom