Herbs abundance

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
4:03 PM
2C79AFDA-48FC-479F-B17A-18D265F04920.jpeg
B3BA8AFF-34D2-4D39-BE5E-91F55390C2B1.jpeg
B17A7CE9-831B-498F-97BD-CD2D555BB99E.jpeg

I (finally after 20 years of waiting) have a patio and one part is now allocated to growing herbs in pots.

I’ve harvested some mint and after reading an article about pesto (basically it can be made with whatever you have not just the traditional basil & pinenut combo) I made mint pesto. It will be used tonight stirred into pasta and peas. On Sunday I’m planning on roasting some lamb and serving the pesto alongside it.

It was super easy, and is full of flavour (from the dipped spoon test). I’ve got lots of basil so that will be next. Just wondering if anyone has made any other pesto? What did you use?

This recipe was -

Big punch of mint
40g nuts (chopped)
80ml olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Black pepper

Whiz in whizzer to form pesto!

Last edited by a moderator:
What you put in your pesto is basically what I always do when I make a pesto (herbs, nuts, oil, garlic)...a mint pesto sounds terrific!

I've made pesto using basil, cilantro, arugula (rocket), and spinach (not all at the same time, though that would be interesting). It seems that any leafy green will work, but I also know of "red pesto" that uses roasted red peppers and tomatoes. This has me thinking that I need to make a pesto from something that's not green, like radicchio:

radicchio.jpg

0C80F9E7-1A63-46B3-A756-605F9C13D3AC.jpeg
0748900A-B602-450E-9D2B-7664BCABB7F0.jpeg

Presto…It’s purple pesto! Of course, I bought radicchio on the way home, and made pesto with it. It’s rather bizarre that turned out looking more like ground beef, but I like the flavor. The little red flecks that you see are from cherry peppers that I added to the blend.

Last edited:
I like the bitter taste of radiccio. What did you eat it with?
It was actually fantastic on crackers. I plan to try it as a topping on a burger, too (Memorial Day is Monday, and it’s a tradition over here to have a BBQ). So, something it looks like raw hamburger on a cooked hamburger.

the title is herbs abundance

.. aack its really awful today. I normally dont complain about the weather- today-I am its so windy and the blowing snow.... cant see my neighbors house from my window. I tried to get out but my doors are drifted shut so all you wonderful folks get to read my ranting on about herbs. lucky you. ha

being in the far north and a quazi tree hugger I grow gads of herbs during the growing season. Basil and rosemary are a must.

lemon grass thyme
chamomile chives
several mints. garlic(gads)
lemon balm parsley

I make teas, and cook with all of them except chamomile I havent found any use other than tea.

the title is herbs abundance

.. aack its really awful today. I normally dont complain about the weather- today-I am its so windy and the blowing snow.... cant see my neighbors house from my window. I tried to get out but my doors are drifted shut so all you wonderful folks get to read my ranting on about herbs. lucky you. ha

being in the far north and a quazi tree hugger I grow gads of herbs during the growing season. Basil and rosemary are a must.

lemon grass thyme
chamomile chives
several mints. garlic(gads)
lemon balm parsley

I make teas, and cook with all of them except chamomile I havent found any use other than tea.

You are like me, we grow year round rosemary oregano thyme parsley mint. Summer we grow basil and cilantro aka coriander. I love herbs especially the last two.

Russ

I make a red pesto with our oven dried tomatoes and basil. We like to use it in a pasta with penne or rotini, roasted shredded chicken, chiffonade of basil, and sometimes boccatini or cut up cubes of moz.

Made a carrot top pesto just recently and I've made one with Swiss chard when we were growing it and had lots.

View attachment 16315 View attachment 16316 View attachment 16317

I (finally after 20 years of waiting) have a patio and one part is now allocated to growing herbs in pots.

I’ve harvested some mint and after reading an article about pesto (basically it can be made with whatever you have not just the traditional basil & pinenut combo) I made mint pesto. It will be used tonight stirred into pasta and peas. On Sunday I’m planning on roasting some lamb and serving the pesto alongside it.

It was super easy, and is full of flavour (from the dipped spoon test). I’ve got lots of basil so that will be next. Just wondering if anyone has made any other pesto? What did you use?

This recipe was -

Big punch of mint
40g nuts (chopped)
80ml olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Black pepper

Whiz in whizzer to form pesto!

Very pretty. Love the color. I'm sure it will be delicious with lamb.

One of my favorite pesto flavors is lemon and artichoke. From memory, canned artichoke hearts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, the juice and zest of (Meyer) lemons, olive oil. Toasted pine nuts are optional.

What kind of nuts did you use? Pistachios are good. Smear on a baguette, Pizza, or in a salad.

Last edited:
I'd never thought of making my own pesto with mint, I have lots of mint ATM. Hmmmm.
Lots of basil too, I'm gunna make some. Pics to follow.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom