Hobbies anyone?

Celtic Woman performs in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. We went to 1 of their shows a couple of years ago and can't wait for them to come back to our favorite venue. They have beautiful voices and put on a lovely show.

Scuba (I taught up to instructor level, all told taught for 12 years), when younger snakes, including venomous, bred ETB's last decade. Now it's BBQ, grilling and trying different cuisines at home.

These are a few of my indoor hobbies that have expanded since my back went. I've taught myself to spin and now have 2 traditional spinning wheels and several drop spindles. The sewing machine I've had for decades. It was an 18th birthday present off my Grannie. I inherited her sewing stuff after my grandfather died (he did the can't cope approach, shut the wardrobe doors and never opened then again. My mother passed her stuff on to me, including a lot of cooking stuff as well as all of her recipes after he died).

I'm currently finishing off Christmas presents to take with us to the UK next week. That includes the Christmas stockings and the advent calendar. The lilac and pink blanket is for my sister. It is handspun Shetland wool, dyed for the step of the stripey effect and obviously knitted by myself as well.

20190815_132504.jpg 20190815_132439.jpg 20190815_132536.jpg 20190815_132514.jpg 20190815_132610.jpg 20190815_132406.jpg 20190815_132622.jpg 20190815_132419.jpg 20190815_132432.jpg 20190815_132426.jpg 20190815_132921.jpg 20190815_133027.jpg

I'm also mid project for my husband hence the handspun off the back of the chair. The plied natural had yet to be washed hence the desire to twist still. That will come out when I set the twist. In fact most of what is there I have twisted into it to keep the hanks together. The pink singles is extra so there may be a 3rd lap blanket in that colour. It's not out colour so I'll probably donate it to the local cancer ward next time in at the hospital (once I've knitted it into a blanket of course).

I also have several outdoor hobbies as well but am not yet back into those full time.... yet.
Swimming is also on the agenda, along with cycling, camping and landscape photography and obviously gardening. I grow a lot of veg and fruit, herbs as well. Plus tend to the large garden, oh and don't forget the chickens...

Gorgeous stuff - you are so industrious. You put me to shame.
I'm currently swearing at my husband's cardigan. I'm getting roughly 4⅓rows per 50g ball of spun wool because he wanted chunky. I had spun up 33 balls thinking that would be enough (that's over 1.65kg). Each sleeve has used 6 balls. The hem alone for the main body and 2 fronts (it's knit in one until the sleeves) has taken 3 balls... I have this awful feeling that when I get back from the UK, I'll be spinning up more so that I can finish this cardigan. I can not for the life of me see how I'll have anything big enough to dye it in except the one thing it shouldn't really go in... The washing machine. The bath doesn't hold water liking enough to bath in, let alone cold dye anything in... He's going to be testing my creativity to the limit.

I'm also spinning up some 4 ply (using 2 singles that are 2 ply thickness each) to knit myself a new jumper. I want a spring Autumn jumper for when out starts to get warmer.

How about a large plastic tub or storage box, or a child's plastic swimming pool. I know you are remote, but surely 1 of you will be taking a trip into town before Christmas.

My primary instrument is guitar, but I can usually muddle through on most common instruments (drums, keyboards, most things with strings). I have difficulty with brass/woodwinds, though I did have two years of bagpipe instruction and can get by on those in a pinch (though I no longer own any pipes).

Stratocaster guitar?

Cooking, photography, blogging, writing, raising chickens.

Once my old house finally sells (it has a closing date of Sept 6, but I don't count it until it is gone), I'm hoping to get back into graphic arts (digital) and stained glass. I want to take up painting, and have yet to decide on a focus: watercolors or acrylic. I'll go dabble in both for a bit. I also want to study the guitar. Check Jorma Kaukkonen for a style I'd love to learn to play.

My other ambition is woodworking, not the "fine" stuff, but farm-functional and not ugly...

Back
Top Bottom