Holiday meals 2019

I'd never heard of these so looked up recipes with a view to making them for Dish of the Month (Pancakes). But then I got to this part:

'You need a special Aebleskive pan for frying.'
Yes, you do....
Try it. You might like it. :bbq: :cook::spaghetti:Except you don't flip these. You rotate/push them about 1/4 of a turn till done. I first tried them in a quaint little village called Solvang, with windmills and wooden shoes. They were sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with jam on the side. You could probably make them savory.

Last edited:
Christmas Day is the biggy around here.
Turkey stuffed rolled breast with cranberry sauce
Leg of lamb with mint sauce
Roll of pickled pork. With apple sauce.
Roasted potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips, kumara, carrots.
New potatoes fresh from my garden
Peas from the garden
Rich brown gravy.

Then trifle if you have room.

I loooove Xmas day, I cook for my family of 10.

Russ

Unusual fare for Christmas dinner a few years ago.

squid.jpg

What is pickled pork?

It's a roll of pork that is brined with saline?? I think. I'll ask my butcher mate when I see him. I think it's soaked as well?? Then when cooking you boil it. I normally change water once. With apple sauce it's a real treat. We all love it here. It's not cheap and not all butchers make it. I buy ( I actually pay for this) it every Xmas.
Russ

It's a roll of pork that is brined with saline?? I think. I'll ask my butcher mate when I see him. I think it's soaked as well?? Then when cooking you boil it. I normally change water once. With apple sauce it's a real treat. We all love it here. It's not cheap and not all butchers make it. I buy ( I actually pay for this) it every Xmas.
Russ

OK - sounds like gammon in a way. It would be interesting to know how your butcher prepares it.

Pork butt usually. These are the ingredients for one version of pickled pork and the butt is placed in a plastic bag and pickled for two weeks. Some folks sub pickled pork for ham hocks in red beans and rice.

2 cups water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup kosher salt
6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seed
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
8 ounces ice
1 1/2 pounds fresh boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes