Recipe Home Brew Guinness

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
8:05 PM
Guinness-Wallpaper-822415_218x218.png

Ingredients needed for your Home Brew Guinness:
(Making two 2 litre bottles of Home Brew Guinness)

You will need:
– Light Malt Extract (500g)
– Roasted Barley (110g)
– Flaked Barley (85g)
– Carapils (Dextrine) (85g)
– Northern Brewer Hops (10g)
– East Kent Goldings Hops (10g)
– Brewing Yeast (1/8th teaspoon)

Additional Items needed for your Home Brew Guinness:
– 2 Pat Mack’s Home Brewing Caps
– 2 clean empty plastic bottles (2 litre bottles)

The Home Brew Guinness Process:
Step 1)
You’ll need to bring a couple of litres of water to boil and then add your Roasted Barley, Flaked Barley and Carapils. Steep these ingredients for about 20 minutes and then remove them from the water. It may be useful to use a brewing bag/muslin bag/strainer so that it’s easier to remove the ingredients from the water.

Step 2) You should now add your Light Malt Extract to the boiling water. Stir this well and then when it is evenly mixed you can add both your hops varieties. I use those “fill your own loose tea teabags” for my hops. Now let this steep for an hour and then remove the hops.

Step 3) Turn off the heat and let the brew cool to room temperature. When it’s cool enough we will pour it equally into our 2 plastic bottles and then add our yeast. We will also need to top up each bottle with more water to make 4 litres over all.

Step 4) There is a peculiar extra step that is unique to home brew Guinness. When making Guinness you need to add a soured Guinness to the newly brewed batch. Basically you need to leave an opened Guinness out in a bowl for a week or so and then freeze it until you need it. Then when your at Step 3) in the brewing process above you add the soured Guinness to the brew! Very strange but it works to create that unique Guinness taste.

Now all that you need to do is let it ferment. I would let this one bubble away for about 2 weeks, checking on it every few days to make sure it’s brewing nicely and not in a stuck fermentation.

This recipe should make a Home Brew Guinness to the strength of somewhere between 4.1 – 4.4%.

http://homebrewingcaps.com/home-brew-guinness/

It used to be possible to get a culture of the genuine Guinness yeast from a small sample of the real stuff [although you had to be careful not to pick up any old mould !] but I'm not sure if that would be still possible in this sterilized force filtered age.

I can hardly recognise anything here so I will have to go to to get mjne at the shop or Supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom