I'm on my 3rd spice/ coffee grinder lol.

Russ
Same here, plus we have a dedicated identical one for coffee... but only because hubby got given a gift card to a company that 20 years ago would have been one of those catalogue companies and about the only thing we found that we would use in the entire catalogue was our existing grinder, so we bought 2 more and gave the old one to charity. So I now have one for spices, and small flour batches and the other for coffee beans. Saves me having to clean my spice grinder with rice each time I needed to use it after hubby had ground coffee in it. Coffee flavoured spices were not working for me!

Same here, plus we have a dedicated identical one for coffee... but only because hubby got given a gift card to a company that 20 years ago would have been one of those catalogue companies and about the only thing we found that we would use in the entire catalogue was our existing grinder, so we bought 2 more and gave the old one to charity. So I now have one for spices, and small flour batches and the other for coffee beans. Saves me having to clean my spice grinder with rice each time I needed to use it after hubby had ground coffee in it. Coffee flavoured spices were not working for me!
Mines only for spices. No coffee drinkers here.

Russ

I went through half a dozen coffee grinders before my DIL bought me a Cuisinart Spice & Nut grinder, about 4 years ago. Magnificent thing - although I discovered that a drop or two of oil in the mechanism helps to avoid the motor clogging up.
My recipe for garam masala is almost identical, although I don´t use star anise and I alternate between bay leaves and tej patta (Indian bay leaves).
I recently had to buy some shop - made garam masala because I can´t make any over here in London. It was dire. So bad, I used it twice then threw it out.

I was thinking of trying to make some. Some recipes call for cardamom seeds (Madhur Jaffrey for example) and some use the entire pod. Not sure I can be bothered to extract seeds.

Whenever my mother-in-law came to visit (maybe once a fortnight) I would make garam masala. I'd give her a dish of black cardamoms and she'd happily sit and remove the seeds whilst watching the television.

This is the recipe that I use, courtesy of Madhur.

Garam masala is added to curries very late in the cooking process so as not to destroy the flavour. Garam masala is not a standardised spice mixture. India has many regional variations and even variations particular to certain cooks and households. For a northern variety, place the following ingredients in a spice grinder or mortar and grind to a very fine powder: 1 tblsp black cardamom seeds, 50 mm stick of cinnamon, 1 tsp black cumin seeds, 1 tsp whole cloves, 1 tsp black peppercorns and a quarter of a nutmeg. Store in a jar with a tight fitting lid in a cool dark cupboard.

garammasala.jpg

Back
Top Bottom