Homemade Granola

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
7:34 AM
Have you ever made your own granola? It looks like it would be cheaper to make as opposed to buying it at the store, but I am not sure what all to put in mine. I know there is nuts and oats in it, but what else should I add?

I have not but I would love to. It would be so great to have that on my portfolio. I just Googled 'simple granola bar" and found this. The last time I used this site Morning Glory and a few other friends found a flaw in my yeast bread recipe. Hopefully this recipe is fine. Naturally I am a little apprehensive using recipes from the site. Still I will share this one.
http://www.food.com/recipe/20-minute-honey-granola-easy-472957

I have not but I would love to. It would be so great to have that on my portfolio. I just Googled 'simple granola bar" and found this. The last time I used this site Morning Glory and a few other friends found a flaw in my yeast bread recipe. Hopefully this recipe is fine. Naturally I am a little apprehensive using recipes from the site. Still I will share this one.
http://www.food.com/recipe/20-minute-honey-granola-easy-472957

This looks fine to me! :D I think you could use all sorts of combinations of grains and nuts using this recipe.

I recall seeing a recipe fairly recently, and saving it somehow, but I don't recall where. I'll have to check this one out, because this is something I'm interested in doing, as well. Thanks, y'all for posting the recipe links.

I've made my own before - better in terms of price and being able to add in whatever goodies you want to it!

I'm planning to make this recipe sometime soon - it sounds delish for the fall season!

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/pumpkin-granola/
Thats an interesting recipe, using pureed pumpkin and apple puree and no oil (although it does have maple syrup and sugar). Granola isn't really the healthiest cereal option. Its the oil and sugar/maple syrup which turns all those healthy nuts, grains and fruit into a sweet and rather calorific cereal. This recipe at least avoids the oil. :)

Thats an interesting recipe, using pureed pumpkin and apple puree and no oil (although it does have maple syrup and sugar). Granola isn't really the healthiest cereal option. Its the oil and sugar/maple syrup which turns all those healthy nuts, grains and fruit into a sweet and rather calorific cereal. This recipe at least avoids the oil. :)

I hear you about granola not being the healthiest - sometimes when I've had store-bought ones in my house it's been more like consuming candy than cereal. Not too great to have all that sugar first thing in the morning either because then I end up having a massive sugar crash.

The pumkin granola looks like something I will be making very soon. I like the crunky taste of granola and who doesn't need more fiber in their diet?

I have made my own granola in the past, but it was not the most healthy way of making it. I used oats, a variety of nuts, coconut, vegetable oil and honey. Mix it and bake in the oven. Sometimes I also added cocoa powder for a chocolate version :)
Now that I am trying to eat more healthy, I have not made this anymore, but I am looking at making granola another way. I have been researching gluten free granola, where you only use nuts and seeds (like pumpkin seeds) and stick them together with egg white. You can also add dried fruits and honey for sweetness.

Yes, I have done that and it is easy. You can essentially mix whatever dried fruits and nuts you want to in rolled oats and bake it in the oven. You have to make sure that you have an airtight container to put it in. Once you have it in your container it lasts something like 6 to 8 weeks so that is something to keep in mind when using your containers

Making your own granola bars are less expensive then purchasing store bought. The oppositions are endless. Try adding:

• peanut butter
  • chocolate chips
  • dried cranberries or other dried fruit
  • marshmallows (for some fun)
  • rice Krispies

Back
Top Bottom