Homemade noodles

kana_marie

Veteran
Local time
5:30 PM
Has anyone here successfully made their own noodles? I've been trying for a while, but every time I end up with a huge mess! It is either not dry enough or too dry. I think it may partially due to how I mix the ingredients together. I put the wet ingredients in the center of a big circle of dry ingredients. Then I use my fingers to stir the wet ingredients, slowly combining them. Does anyone know a simpler way of doing this? Thanks y'all!

Pasta machine.jpg

I have a pasta machine, and have always wanted to try making my own homemade noodles, but near did it yet! :headshake::stop:

You'll have to let me know how they turned out. If they're good enough to throw some sauce on and eat, then the machine has got to be worth the investment. What it comes down to is this: I don't use a machine to make bread because I like to get in there and get my hands dirty. When I cook I like to go as old school as possible. But the noodles obviously aren't going to get made that way anytime soon, lol.

I've made pasta with a hand pasta machine plenty of times but the paste for noodles is different if you are authentic , I have seen a big machine imported for a noodle restaurant in London ,you put all the ingredients in a hooper and hey presto noodles

I will someday make my own noodles. I've yet to do it, mainly because this kitchen is so small, but I do have a pasta drying rack, and ravioli plates. I don't have a pasta machine, but my parents had one, and made their own frequently, so I will have to get one and try it out. The taste is much better, so I think it will be worth the effort.

I dont make homemade noodles but my daughter does. I like them much better. I just do not have the time to make my own noodles. My mouth is watering now thinking about it. My daughter makes hers and then sort of makes a soup out of them with vegetable broth.

I have made noodles a couple of times for chicken soup, but there was way too much work that went into the process. You have to mix the ingredients right and then cut out your noodles from the dough, and then dry them before adding them to the water. I have found that you can buy frozen noodles or fresh noodles from the grocery store. They are a little spendy, but you save a lot of time.

I've made pasta with a hand pasta machine plenty of times but the paste for noodles is different if you are authentic , I have seen a big machine imported for a noodle restaurant in London ,you put all the ingredients in a hooper and hey presto noodles
I think this might just be another example of a bit of confusion between US and UK useage of the word 'noodles'. I'm pretty sure, that in America, what we would call pasta is sometimes called noodles. In UK when we say noodles we mean Asian thin noodles, which as @Berties says, are quite different and more difficult to make. It would be interesting to know which type @kana_marie was referring to. Here is a link to some American noodles, which in UK, I think we would call pasta. You will see that the serving suggestions are typical of Italian Pasta and in the UK we wouldn't really serve Asian noodles with such sauces.

http://pasta-products-americanbeaut...tra-Wide-Egg-Noodles-ZX00268000046400FM00ZX13

I think this might just be another example of a bit of confusion between US and UK useage of the word 'noodles'. I'm pretty sure, that in America, what we would call pasta is sometimes called noodles. In UK when we say noodles we mean Asian thin noodles, which as @Berties says, are quite different and more difficult to make. It would be interesting to know which type @kana_marie was referring to. Here is a link to some American noodles, which in UK, I think we would call pasta. You will see that the serving suggestions are typical of Italian Pasta and in the UK we wouldn't really serve Asian noodles with such sauces.

http://pasta-products-americanbeaut...tra-Wide-Egg-Noodles-ZX00268000046400FM00ZX13

Noodles here in the U.S. can refer to a lot of different sized products. I usually think of noodles as what is found in chicken noodle soup, which is more of a spaghetti thickness noodle. When y'all in the U.K. say noodles, are you referring to vermicelli, glass noodles, and others of that sort?

The closest I have ever gotten to making noodles would be when I use to make chicken and dumplings. I think the dumplings were a type of noodle but I don't make that meal any more, not something my family will eat.

Noodles here in the U.S. can refer to a lot of different sized products. I usually think of noodles as what is found in chicken noodle soup, which is more of a spaghetti thickness noodle. When y'all in the U.K. say noodles, are you referring to vermicelli, glass noodles, and others of that sort?
Yes, that's right. The sort you might use in stir-fries or with Chinese food. They come in many different types not only those made with wheat flour but rice, buckwheat, mung bean (as in glass noodles) etc., all over Asia. Typical noodles sold in UK supermarket look like this:

thumb_product_main_pic_Medium_Egg_Noodles_6_pack.jpg

But in fact, ii could be argued that noodles are a type of pasta, or pasta is a type of noodle, since they are both made with the same ingredients (some kind of flour plus water and/or egg). Its just the technique for making them that differs. It can take years to learn the art. Here's a link to noodle making in a Bejing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfu1ZHiMP8

Vermicelli is an Indian version of noodles and was(is) traditionally made by using the pulling technique. Nowadays machine production of noodles uses extrusion (forcing dough through holes).

Yes, that's right. The sort you might use in stir-fries or with Chinese food. They come in many different types not only those made with wheat flour but rice, buckwheat, mung bean (as in glass noodles) etc., all over Asia. Typical noodles sold in UK supermarket look like this:

View attachment 1017

But in fact, ii could be argued that noodles are a type of pasta, or pasta is a type of noodle, since they are both made with the same ingredients (some kind of flour plus water and/or egg). Its just the technique for making them that differs. It can take years to learn the art. Here's a link to noodle making in a Bejing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfu1ZHiMP8

Vermicelli is an Indian version of noodles and was(is) traditionally made by using the pulling technique. Nowadays machine production of noodles uses extrusion (forcing dough through holes).

I saw a show one time, I think it was one of the cooking competitions, and they had to make noodles like that from scratch, with varying degrees of success, I might add :laugh:. That is the type of activity that I think would be fun to do with one or more other special people, but I probably wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I have a package of glass noodles in my pantry, but I haven't decided what to do with them yet, especially since I don't know exactly how they're cooked. If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I think they can be used in stir fries, but I'm not exactly sure, and haven't had the time to investigate the matter yet. Cool video, @morning glory Thanks! :thumbsup::D

I saw a show one time, I think it was one of the cooking competitions, and they had to make noodles like that from scratch, with varying degrees of success, I might add :laugh:. That is the type of activity that I think would be fun to do with one or more other special people, but I probably wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I have a package of glass noodles in my pantry, but I haven't decided what to do with them yet, especially since I don't know exactly how they're cooked. If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I think they can be used in stir fries, but I'm not exactly sure, and haven't had the time to investigate the matter yet. Cool video, @morning glory Thanks! :thumbsup::D
You could try this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/c...Spicy-crab-and-glass-noodle-salad-recipe.html
Depends what kind of thing you like, though. As the recipe above says, glass noodles cook in a few minutes. They will go well with any stir-fried veg/fish/meat. Personally, I like to toss lots of chilli and finely sliced ginger into a stir-fry of chicken and shredded vegetables... then a splash of soy sauce and fish sauce and its done!:cook:

You could try this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/c...Spicy-crab-and-glass-noodle-salad-recipe.html
Depends what kind of thing you like, though. As the recipe above says, glass noodles cook in a few minutes. They will go well with any stir-fried veg/fish/meat. Personally, I like to toss lots of chilli and finely sliced ginger into a stir-fry of chicken and shredded vegetables... then a splash of soy sauce and fish sauce and its done!:cook:

Mmmm that sounds yummy, and I happen to have some fresh ginger in the house right now, which isn't always the case. I haven't had crab in a while, so will have to see about getting some, that's one of my favorite treats.

Mmmm that sounds yummy, and I happen to have some fresh ginger in the house right now, which isn't always the case. I haven't had crab in a while, so will have to see about getting some, that's one of my favorite treats.
Crab is one of my faves too. And lobster, when I can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom