Homemade potato chips

When I make game chips for dishes we slice the potatoes thin on a mandolin or for gaufrettes give them a half turn on the cutter on the mandolin,
Wash them in water to remove the starch ,dry then deep fry ,then season as required

When I make game chips for dishes we slice the potatoes thin on a mandolin or for gaufrettes give them a half turn on the cutter on the mandolin,
Wash them in water to remove the starch ,dry then deep fry ,then season as required

Oh the amount of time I've spent making gaufrettes. Those mandolins are a serious health hazard if you don't watch what you are doing. The number of entries into the accident book this things have caused. Funny how gaufrettes have a flavour different to plain sliced.

Oh the amount of time I've spent making gaufrettes. Those mandolins are a serious health hazard if you don't watch what you are doing. The number of entries into the accident book this things have caused. Funny how gaufrettes have a flavour different to plain sliced.
I always use a guard (pronged thing you stick in the potato) with a mandolin. It isn't as easy as just holding the potato (or whatever) in my hand, but I learned the hard way!

I always use a guard (pronged thing you stick in the potato) with a mandolin. It isn't as easy as just holding the potato (or whatever) in my hand, but I learned the hard way!
I Never use the guard ,but it's the same as a knife skill you get more speed with time ,I can slice 5 kilo of pots for a dauphinoise even before you've got a food processor out,but saying about knife skills I rarely cut my self with a knife ,cling film cutter maybe but Friday trimming a handfull of fine beans managed to take a lump of my thumb and nail off,and the flesh was stuck to my knife:thumbsdown:

I Never use the guard ,but it's the same as a knife skill you get more speed with time ,I can slice 5 kilo of pots for a dauphinoise even before you've got a food processor out,but saying about knife skills I rarely cut my self with a knife ,cling film cutter maybe but Friday trimming a handfull of fine beans managed to take a lump of my thumb and nail off,and the flesh was stuck to my knife:thumbsdown:

Its good to know that even professionals get it wrong.:happy: :ohmy: I confess I do sometimes use the mandolin without the guard. It is very fast to use. I keep my hand flat on the item. Worst that can happen is I shave my palm...:eek:. Well, that isn't as bad as taking off a finger or thumb top.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom