Homemade Sour Dough Starter

ScandiBrit

Local time
3:47 AM
Hi
After a few goes, it always goes smelly!!!!

Basic concept I use is flour and water, overnighting in warm airing or heater cupboard. I add a bit of flour + water every morning and then it stops bubbling. I have managed up to about 2 days of bubbling so far before death do us part.

Any help out there?
Richard

It sounds like you're keeping it too warm and its running out of food - room temperature should be fine (around 20 C). Also what type of flour are you using? Supposedly a wholemeal or rye flour is best to feed it with, whereas white flour can be difficult to work with.

I've never managed to keep a sourdough starter alive using the traditional method though. Last year I changed technique and now use a method that you don't need to feed/discard every day. Its very convenient and much easier. Basically once your starter is going, you only feed it the day before you want to use it. When you use it you leave a few scrapings in a jar in the fridge until the next time you want to use it. Then you take it out, feed it once, use it the next day and put the scrapings back in the fridge until next time. This video should explain it all.

Hi Dangermouse, yes, maybe the room has been too warm. I live in Denmark but I think the room is the same as an airing cupboard where you'd have your boiler. It seems to work on day1, then generally pops its clogs after a day.

Back
Top Bottom