Homemade Stock vs Store Bought

I've gotten to the point where I virtually never buy stock anymore: it's so easy to make, and I find that it tastes better than anything I can buy. Plus, I can control the sodium content.

My basic stock consists of onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, salt, and water. Then, strain the solids out..

I use the onion, carrots, celery and a bit of vinegar , along with the water for making any meat stocks. The vinegar is to help draw the nutrients out of the bones/collagen/connective tissue. No salt at that point, only when I'm ready to make the dish intended for the stock. If I concentrate the stock down far during the stock making process, the salt flavor just magnifies. Vegetable stocks will be various leftover veggies and parts, and for that I don't need the vinegar.

Chicken stock takes me about four hours, beef, pork or lamb takes about 12 or 18 hours, seafood about two hours. I will often combine the beef and lamb together, and do the pork separately. Chicken stock may well also be any poultry that ends up in my freezer - turkey, duck, quail...

I do keep low sodium boxed veggie stock and chicken stock in my cupboard for any immediate use. I never buy the commercial beef stock.

Chicken stock takes me about four hours, beef, pork or lamb takes about 12 or 18 hours, seafood about two hours. I will often combine the beef and lamb together, and do the pork separately. Chicken stock may well also be any poultry that ends up in my freezer - turkey, duck, quail...
Once, I made a chicken stock without trimming the fat or skin. The result was an absurd amount of fat in the stock. Fortunately, the fat rises as it cools, and can be scooped off the top. But, there was still more fat than I wanted. From then on, I decided to not use the skin when I made a chicken (or turkey) stock.

I don't make stock. There's one brand that we really like and it's very tasty. It's not particularly high in salt content, so we don't worry about that. It doesn't contain any dairy, it's surprising how many do, and when bought in the 1kg size is surprisingly cheap. It also comes in cubes, handy if we're away or when we used to hike and camp or be on cycle tour.

I just don't like the concept behind making a vegetable stock for a vegetable soup that may well be liquidised and promptly taking out some of the veg (and hence vits/minerals and more importantly fibre) and throwing them away! It just seems a waste to me.

I don't make stock. There's one brand that we really like and it's very tasty. It's not particularly high in salt content, so we don't worry about that. It doesn't contain any dairy, it's surprising how many do, and when bought in the 1kg size is surprisingly cheap. It also comes in cubes, handy if we're away or when we used to hike and camp or be on cycle tour.

I just don't like the concept behind making a vegetable stock for a vegetable soup that may well be liquidised and promptly taking out some of the veg (and hence vits/minerals and more importantly fibre) and throwing them away! It just seems a waste to me.

I use Marigold veg stock - they have a dairy free vegan version. Its a very good product.

Not sure if there's a way to turn it back to powder.
I've just used it like that in the past but now once I open the container, I decant it into airtight glass Kilner jars. I use a small one for every day use and a larger one for longer term storage because I bit either the 500g or the 1kg size. Postage isn't cheap in Australia and the pricing is weird with the small size very expensive and the next size up only a few dollars more and so on. Sadly the vegan store in Canberra charge a ridiculous amount for even the smallest container shop I now buy it online.

Back
Top Bottom