Homes and kitchens in different countries

It's true - some are treated like slaves, but at the other end of the spectrum there are those who are treated like family. Each year you will see a couple of people in the newspapers being sent to jail for maid abuse, but you will equally see stories such as 'I've been with the family for 19 years and they paid for me to go to college' so like most things with a large enough sample you've got a normal distribution with the majority in the middle.

[EDIT] I also want to point out that it's not just well-to-do people who have maids here. Families across the income spectrum have them. The cost to have one with all their pay, associated fees, health checks and levies works out around USD $10000-$12000 a year.

Blimey - I don't consider myself at the bottom of the income spectrum (I'm living on a quite good Teacher's pension and State pension), but I certainly don't have $10,000 + a year to spare. Are incomes generally quite high in Singapore?

Blimey - I don't consider myself at the bottom of the income spectrum (I'm living on a quite good Teacher's pension and State pension), but I certainly don't have $10,000 + a year to spare. Are incomes generally quite high in Singapore?

I lived in Singapore for almost three months (2001). It was very expensive so I would imagine incomes are high.

Whatever they are made of I've always hated multi coloured (mottled) counter tops.

LOL, I don't like single colored countertops. I like some visual texture. My current countertops are Wilsonart in a finish called Creme Brûlée, which literally looks like the top surface of Creme Brûlée.

CD

Yes. I'm not much of an economist, but I suppose Singapore could be considered quite an affluent country. It also has low taxes.

It’s open, so to the left is the dining area. It has large sliding glass doors to close it off. They’re not brilliant tbh and if I make something like a steak then the house will be filled with smoke. In those cases opening my balcony door and my kitchen outer door will blow/suck it out.
Vernplum, this is my biggest problem with the open kitchen design.
I did a pan seared steak: smoke everywhere.
Forgot to clean up a drop of cheese at the bottom of the oven? smoke everywhere.
Frying fish? smell everywhere.

Proof that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I snapped a few iPhone shots of my parent's house, going up for sale in a few weeks. We hope to get $400,000 USD for it. The house is on a wide boulevard. I was standing on the median between East and West lanes.

For scale, the island in the kitchen measures about 8 feet long and 3 feet wide.

View attachment 72320
View attachment 72321
View attachment 72322View attachment 72323 View attachment 72322
Beautiful home! I think all kitchen islands should have a few power outlets like that, its so convenient. However having the stovetop in the island with no backsplash (or range hood) would irritate me.

Back
Top Bottom