Recipe Honey Oats Granola

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:58 AM
Honey Oat Granola:

NOTE: Honey Oat Granola is the most basic type of Granola, perhaps sharing that distinction with Cane Sugar and Maple Syrup Granola.

HoneyOatsGranola03.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Rolled Oats - see NOTE.

NOTE: cover the bottom of the cookie pan intended for use with about 1/4" Oats to determine the amount to use.

2) Honey - as required
3) Oil (Olive Oil, Coconut Oil or Peanut Oil) - as required

NOTE: Mix Honey and Oil, 1 part Oil to 2 parts Honey. Use enough to saturate the dry Oats.

4) Salt (Optional)

NOTE: Well known Granola Recipes recommend Salt, preferably, fine grained Sea Salt. It is claimed that without Salt, the flavor of Granola will be muted. If regular Table Salt is used, scale back on the amount used. If it is preferred not to use Salt, add a touch of Lime or Lemon Juice to give the Granola a flavor boost.

5) Vanilla

Procedure:

1) Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and thoroughly mix.
2) Preheat Oven to 325F.
3) Line a baking pan with Parchment Paper.
4) Evenly distribute the Granola Mix on the parchment paper.
5) Press it down so it is level and clumps.

HoneyOatsGranola01.jpg

6) Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes on the lower oven rack.

NOTE: While baking, stir the mix about every 5 minutes after starting and press down again after redistributing and leveling to reclump. Move the Granola from the sides to the center and from the center to the sides to ensure even baking.

NOTE: Lightly Brown the Granola. Ensure that it does not toast or burn.

NOTE: It is possible to pan fry Honey Oat Granola, instead of baking it.

7) Remove the Granola from the oven and allow it to cool for about an hour so that it crisps up and the melted Honey thickens up.

HoneyOatsGranola02.jpg

8) Break up the Granola and store in air-tight packaging (zip-lock bags or latch-lid jars) and allow to set for a time before consuming.

NOTE: The Granola can be stored frozen.

This looks yummy. How much sea salt would you recommend?

I prefer not to use Salt. That's why I made it optional. I would suggest as other recipes I researched do, a Tspn., but what I have found is that not all cookie sheets/pans are created equal. That's why I wrote the recipe to measure using the Cookie Sheet/Pan, instead of actual quantitative amounts. So the way I wrote the recipe allows the cook to be adaptive. In other words, use salt, as desired. If I were to use Salt, I think I like the idea of Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, instead of regular Table Salt.

Reactions: mjd
I prefer not to use Salt. That's why I made it optional. I would suggest as other recipes I researched do, a Tspn., but what I have found is that not all cookie sheets/pans are created equal. That's why I wrote the recipe to measure using the Cookie Sheet/Pan, instead of actual quantitative amounts. So the way I wrote the recipe allows the cook to be adaptive. In other words, use salt, as desired. If I were to use Salt, I think I like the idea of Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, instead of regular Table Salt.

I have to add salt to my drinking water because my body doesn't retain water (basically, my system shows dehydration no matter how much water I drink). I think I want to make this on the stove top with a full container of rolled oats. I plan to mix the oil and honey and vanilla and then stir in the oats. I'll give it a try with about a tsp. of salt and see how that goes.

Thanks for posting this. I love healthy treats.

I have to add salt to my drinking water because my body doesn't retain water (basically, my system shows dehydration no matter how much water I drink). I think I want to make this on the stove top with a full container of rolled oats. I plan to mix the oil and honey and vanilla and then stir in the oats. I'll give it a try with about a tsp. of salt and see how that goes.

Thanks for posting this. I love healthy treats.
A full container is a lot of Granola. And a lot of Honey too. I think I would do a small test batch so you can get a grip on how you would like it to turn out and then increase proportionately. I did enough that would fit on an 8 x 5" cookie sheet/pan.

A full container is a lot of Granola. And a lot of Honey too. I think I would do a small test batch so you can get a grip on how you would like it to turn out and then increase proportionately. I did enough that would fit on an 8 x 5" cookie sheet/pan.
That's a good idea. I was thinking of trying some of it with honey and another batch with agave since I have both on hand. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll scale it back until I get it the way I like it. ;-)

That's a good idea. I was thinking of trying some of it with honey and another batch with agave since I have both on hand. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll scale it back until I get it the way I like it. ;-)

Converse with me and let me know how the Agave batch goes. I was thinking of trying it as I typically have some on hand.

Back
Top Bottom