Recipe Hot and Sour Potatoes

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:23 PM
These potatoes are hot (spicy) and sour (lemon juice) but not so much so that they cannot accompany a western style dish in addition to an Indian curry.

Ingredients
  • 700 gm Potatoes, firm waxy
  • 4 tblsp Olive oil
  • 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp Whole black mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp Whole cumin seeds
  • 20 mm Cube ginger, grated (or 2 tsp pureed ginger
  • 3 fresh red or green chilies, finely chopped
  • 1½ tsp Ground coriander seeds
  • ½ tsp Ground cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp Ground turmeric
  • ½ tsp Chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
  • 1½ tsp Lemon juice
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • ¼ tsp Garam masala
  • Chopped coriander leaf
hotandsourpotatoes2.jpg

Method

Scrub and boil the potatoes and allow them to cool.

Break the potatoes by hand until no pieces are larger than 10 mm cube.

Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they begin to pop, add the whole cumin seeds. Sir for a couple of seconds and then add the chopped onion. Stir fry until the onion is golden (about 4 minutes) and then add the ginger and chilies. Stir for a few seconds until the ginger changes colour then add the ground coriander seeds, ground cumin seeds, turmeric and chili powder. Stir once then add the broken potatoes and stir fry for 1 minute.

Add 125 ml of warm water, lower the heat and stir gently for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, salt and garam masala and cook for a further 1 minute, stirring continuously.

Remove from the heat and serve hot with a sprinkling of chopped coriander leaf.

@Yorky , have you ever tried Hot German Potato Salad? I love the stuff and it is something from my childhood, but Karen isn't fond of it, so I don't make it very often.

@Yorky , have you ever tried Hot German Potato Salad? I love the stuff and it is something from my childhood, but Karen isn't fond of it, so I don't make it very often.

I haven't tried it and I do not think I've ever come across it. I didn't spend long in Germany when I was younger.

These potatoes are hot (spicy) and sour (lemon juice) but not so much so that they cannot accompany a western style dish in addition to an Indian curry.

Ingredients
  • 700 gm Potatoes, firm waxy
  • 4 tblsp Olive oil
  • 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp Whole black mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp Whole cumin seeds
  • 20 mm Cube ginger, grated (or 2 tsp pureed ginger
  • 3 fresh red or green chilies, finely chopped
  • 1½ tsp Ground coriander seeds
  • ½ tsp Ground cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp Ground turmeric
  • ½ tsp Chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
  • 1½ tsp Lemon juice
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • ¼ tsp Garam masala
  • Chopped coriander leaf
hotandsourpotatoes2.jpg

Method

Scrub and boil the potatoes and allow them to cool.

Break the potatoes by hand until no pieces are larger than 10 mm cube.

Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they begin to pop, add the whole cumin seeds. Sir for a couple of seconds and then add the chopped onion. Stir fry until the onion is golden (about 4 minutes) and then add the ginger and chilies. Stir for a few seconds until the ginger changes colour then add the ground coriander seeds, ground cumin seeds, turmeric and chili powder. Stir once then add the broken potatoes and stir fry for 1 minute.

Add 125 ml of warm water, lower the heat and stir gently for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, salt and garam masala and cook for a further 1 minute, stirring continuously.

Remove from the heat and serve hot with a sprinkling of chopped coriander leaf.

Man I'm trying these too, thanks.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom