Hot Sauces

From one Sailor to another - :thankyou:for your service.
What was your job specialty and rank? I started out as a DP - Data Processing Technician. After several name changes I ended up being an IT - Information System Technician. 1st Class. With no sea time Chief was out of my reach. I went through the process multiple times - excellent test scores, 4.0 EVALS and recommendation but always missed it because of the lack of sea time.:(
I am, and will always will be a proud US Sailor.

This old shellback definitely gave you a like on this. I was a DS and worked in the Intelligence Center (CVIC) on CVN-65, with the DPs, IS's and ITs.

I don't have a picture, but my favorite hot salsa is a Habanero salsa ... Mrs. Renfros.

Here's Mrs Renfro's Habanero Salsa ...

HabaneroSalsa.png

Forgive the camera shake. :devil:

Chili peppers here cost buttons for a large handful so we always seemed to have more than we used and then they went to waste.

I therefore tried to make a hot chili sauce and used cayennes and hot Thai chilis, pureed onion and garlic with a little seasoning.

porton down sauce.jpg

These were liquidised and after I tasted the result, I Christened it "Porton Down Sauce".

porton down sauce 2.jpg

("Porton Down" is a MoD research centre in UK and was for many years the centre for secret chemical warfare research - maybe it still is).

I really haven't met a chili pepper sauce I don't like, except the ones that are heat only with no flavor. I always have several cans of chipotle in adobo on hand along with gochujang and gochugaru. I cook with chilis quite a bit. As I've mentioned previously, last Hatch season, we purchase some medium and hot, which I roasted in my rotisserie basket. I usually keep a container of my homemade, mild salsa in the fridge for snacking. I've provided the recipe for that and Xni Pec. As for dried chilis, I always keep ancho, cascabell, morita, japones, arbol, New Mexico, guajilla, pasilla, California, ghost and pequin on hand. As I've said before, I wish I could get my hands on some of the local chilis from Oaxaca that aren't available commercially.

I forgot to mention that you can kill your heat and beer desire in one shot! Cave Creek Chili Beer.

Last edited:
Forgive the camera shake. :devil:

Is that what happens when you eat too much chilli sauce?:laugh:

Seriously though, chilli can actually cause tremors or even fits if taken in massive quantities. Generally speaking the effect is good - chilli causes release of endorphins which produce a feel good factor.:D

Last edited:
The Naga viper isn't there either.

I said that I may be behind the times.

Which don't match?

And it does state "The following table shows the approximate SHUs of various types of popular chili peppers"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom