Houseguests

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:17 AM
[Mod comment: moved to form new topic (TR) ]

MrsT’s middle sister is coming down for a short visit next month, as a surprise for MrsT’s birthday. Additionally, her older sister is planning a weekend at her daughter’s, which is a mere two hours from here, so during the visit, they’ll decamp and head over there for an overnight, so it’ll be the first time all three sisters will be together in probably 10 years.

I. Do not like. Houseguests. :headshake:

That said, I’m not an ill-mannered ogre, so if you come to my house, I’m going to treat you right. To that end, I’ve been hounding my SIL about her food and drink preferences/allergies over the last few days, and I think I’ve overwhelmed her with questions. She said she feels like she’s being interviewed. :laugh:

MrsT’s middle sister is coming down for a short visit next month, as a surprise for MrsT’s birthday. Additionally, her older sister is planning a weekend at her daughter’s, which is a mere two hours from here, so during the visit, they’ll decamp and head over there for an overnight, so it’ll be the first time all three sisters will be together in probably 10 years.

I. Do not like. Houseguests. :headshake:

That said, I’m not an ill-mannered ogre, so if you come to my house, I’m going to treat you right. To that end, I’ve been hounding my SIL about her food and drink preferences/allergies over the last few days, and I think I’ve overwhelmed her with questions. She said she feels like she’s being interviewed. :laugh:

Note to self... If in Cincinnati, get a hotel room. :meh:

CD

What would you do if someone wanted to cook in your kitchen?

1690170125472.png

CD

What would you do if someone wanted to cook in your kitchen?
That’s never crossed my mind, so I’m sort of stumped.

I’d probably tell them to have it, but leave me out of it, don’t ask where anything is, don’t ask if I have this or that, and I’d probably leave the house for a couple of hours for good measure, because even if you tell someone, “…and don’t ask me any questions,” they’re gonna ask questions, and I’m gonna get angry!

Note to self... If in Cincinnati, get a hotel room. :meh:

CD
It took years…decades, really, for MrsT’s family to get the whole hotel thing - when we visit, we stay in a nearby hotel, always. I need my private space to run back to when it all gets a bit much.

Them…they pile on all together like a bunch of rabbits in a warren. I can’t have that, and that caused much offense for many years. The only people I’d ever stay with when visiting were her folks, and that was out of respect for them.

They finally got it, though, and when this SIL contacted me about the surprise visit, and she’s always concerned about money, she said, “Can you recommend a local hotel?”

Now, it was a bluff, I’m sure, and I should have called it, just for fun, but one person for what will be three nights, I can do that.

We’ve bumped heads on this two or three times before over the years. I think I just mentioned one of those in a recent post (about how “No” is a complete sentence, when people try to get you to do something you don’t want to do).

It took years…decades, really, for MrsT’s family to get the whole hotel thing - when we visit, we stay in a nearby hotel, always. I need my private space to run back to when it all gets a bit much.

Them…they pile on all together like a bunch of rabbits in a warren. I can’t have that, and that caused much offense for many years. The only people I’d ever stay with when visiting were her folks, and that was out of respect for them.

They finally got it, though, and when this SIL contacted me about the surprise visit, and she’s always concerned about money, she said, “Can you recommend a local hotel?”

Now, it was a bluff, I’m sure, and I should have called it, just for fun, but one person for what will be three nights, I can do that.

We’ve bumped heads on this two or three times before over the years. I think I just mentioned one of those in a recent post (about how “No” is a complete sentence, when people try to get you to do something you don’t want to do).

I get it. I usually prefer to stay at a hotel, with a few exceptions. When I visit my best friend in Port Arthur, I stay at his house, and we are up half the night talking. Besides, the hotels there are not the best.

I stay at my sister's house when I go to Houston now. I have my own bedroom with a good bed, and my own bathroom. We do our own thing, so we don't bother each other. Before my parents moved, I stayed at their house. It was 4,000 square feet, and they lived almost entirely on the first floor, so the whole second floor was mine. There was a bar with a sink, ice maker and microwave oven, plus a 72 inch TV, and a wifi printer, in addition to the two bedrooms, each with its own bathroom.

CD

Since I spun this off to a new topic, I’ll put it out there like a question: How do you feel about hosting houseguests? Love it? Rather have almond slivers shoved under fingernails?

How about being a houseguest? Do you like that? Are you the houseguest everyone wants to leave?

Let’s hear some visiting tales!

I have mates from Auckland who stay here. They like simple food and that's easy for me. I do go out of my way to spoil them. When I go up there I stay opposite the racetrack where we spend time. We eat over there as well.
Alexandra park. We have late nights. The bar staff all know me.
Daughter and her then partner stayed for 12 months after the earthquakes.
That wore thin.

Russ

Wifes brother rang here late one night and asked my wife if he could stay a few days. Family issues so I agreed.
I thought it quite strange. After a week it turned out he had been interfering with his stepdaughter. That's why he was at ours. I told my wife hes got to go. He snuck out early next day.
This is brother who died last year . I never went to the funeral.
I have some principles.

Russ

Since I spun this off to a new topic, I’ll put it out there like a question: How do you feel about hosting houseguests? Love it? Rather have almond slivers shoved under fingernails?

How about being a houseguest? Do you like that? Are you the houseguest everyone wants to leave?

Let’s hear some visiting tales!
Well most of the places I go (visiting family), it's expected I'll be cooking (even so I still ask if it's alright). And since I never trash anyone's kitchen and the food I cook is always really good, it's very, very welcome.

At my SIL's house, since my brother is constantly working out of town and she is alone and cooking for one, her refrigerator is often rather empty. She also really enjoys cooking with me (she actually went to culinary school and is quite good at preparing some top-notch food) so it's fun when we are at the house together...like when we make sushi together, I will buy ingredients and do a lot of the prep work and she will make the rolls. We have a nice time with that. But lately she has been going to Puerto Rico a lot and is under a lot of stress, so she loves it when I come there and fill up her refrigerator and she has food to come home to that is already prepared (some of it frozen for her in portions). And I love making people I love happy! My SIL is always rearranging things in her kitchen, however, so while she is gone and I am cooking sometimes I have to text her asking where something is, and I will go buy stuff for her kitchen if it's something she doesn't have already and she seems pretty happy that I do that for her.

One of my cousins in Port Arthur, TX, has a husband who is a really great cook and I have been to their house for many a holiday and other various gatherings. I am respectful of their kitchen and gatherings in that I ask if I can bring something, and if so, I bring it already prepared and usually something that is either a cold dish or something that will only require a microwave to heat--or something that might be in a crockpot already. The great thing is that I have other family members in the area who have kitchens free for me to do that.

One thing that does drive me crazy is gatherings at my in-laws. They are very forgetful about my certain food dislikes and there have been many gatherings where there were just a few foods I like to eat, so I get a little grumpy if I ask if I can bring something and they say no and then I don't eat much (or eat before I go). I have been rather insistent at times to bring something that I know I can eat after finding out the menu mainly consists of foods I don't want to eat. Ah well.

Well most of the places I go (visiting family), it's expected I'll be cooking (even so I still ask if it's alright). And since I never trash anyone's kitchen and the food I cook is always really good, it's very, very welcome.

At my SIL's house, since my brother is constantly working out of town and she is alone and cooking for one, her refrigerator is often rather empty. She also really enjoys cooking with me (she actually went to culinary school and is quite good at preparing some top-notch food) so it's fun when we are at the house together...like when we make sushi together, I will buy ingredients and do a lot of the prep work and she will make the rolls. We have a nice time with that. But lately she has been going to Puerto Rico a lot and is under a lot of stress, so she loves it when I come there and fill up her refrigerator and she has food to come home to that is already prepared (some of it frozen for her in portions). And I love making people I love happy! My SIL is always rearranging things in her kitchen, however, so while she is gone and I am cooking sometimes I have to text her asking where something is, and I will go buy stuff for her kitchen if it's something she doesn't have already and she seems pretty happy that I do that for her.

One of my cousins in Port Arthur, TX, has a husband who is a really great cook and I have been to their house for many a holiday and other various gatherings. I am respectful of their kitchen and gatherings in that I ask if I can bring something, and if so, I bring it already prepared and usually something that is either a cold dish or something that will only require a microwave to heat--or something that might be in a crockpot already. The great thing is that I have other family members in the area who have kitchens free for me to do that.

One thing that does drive me crazy is gatherings at my in-laws. They are very forgetful about my certain food dislikes and there have been many gatherings where there were just a few foods I like to eat, so I get a little grumpy if I ask if I can bring something and they say no and then I don't eat much (or eat before I go). I have been rather insistent at times to bring something that I know I can eat after finding out the menu mainly consists of foods I don't want to eat. Ah well.

Some friends are quite open and say our food isn't good enough?
They are here quite often!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom