Review Houseworth Halogen Convection Oven HW-COG12

Achiote & Chilli Chicken breast - marinated and then cooked on top rack (on foil) with extension ring. 180 C for 20 mins, turning once. Then I charred the top with blowtorch.

That reminds me of the "spicy baked chicken" that I cook (Madhur Jaffrey recipe). However, I've not yet tried it in the halogen oven - I generally cook it on the barbecue.

bakedchicken2 s.jpg

My wife brought some chicken home yesterday. A spicy baked chicken is now the plan for Saturday (start the marinading tomorrow).

I cooked the spicy baked chicken in the halogen for the first time today. I was impressed, the chicken stayed more juicy than my previous barbecue experiences. The halogen was preheated (I part cooked the masala potatoes first) so it was 10 minutes plus 5 minutes at 250 degC.

Last edited:
I cooked the spicy baked chicken in the halogen for the first time today. I was impressed, the chicken stayed more juicy than my previous barbecue experiences. The halogen was preheated (I part cooked the masala potatoes first) so it was 10 minutes plus 5 minutes at 250 degC.

Looks lovely - I noticed that chicken stays more succulent too.

Honey dressed char siu pork ribs.

char siu ribs s.jpg

Chicken Cordon Bleu. The initial plan was to shallow fry it but I thought "why not put it in the halogen oven". Brushed it with sunflower oil and cooked it both sides at 175 degC for about 15 minutes total then a further 5 minutes each side at 225 degC.

Chicken Cordon Bleu s.jpg

I learnt a lesson today. The halogen ovens are not foolproof. One of the flimsy controls (to which I referred earlier) failed on me today. I was eating my half of the cooked pork ribs and left the remainder for my wife cooking at 180 degC for 10 minutes. She was hospital visiting so there was no rush. The timer jammed. 40 or so minutes later when I returned to the kitchen they were charcoal.

I learnt a lesson today. The halogen ovens are not foolproof. One of the flimsy controls (to which I referred earlier) failed on me today. I was eating my half of the cooked pork ribs and left the remainder for my wife cooking at 180 degC for 10 minutes. She was hospital visiting so there was no rush. The timer jammed. 40 or so minutes later when I returned to the kitchen they were charcoal.

Awe, so sorry to hear that. What is your next move? Think that you'll get the Ninja Foodi?!! It's really good!! I wouldn't leave the house with the unit on, if I were you!! Of course, I wouldn't leave the house with ANYTHINGH on, except the fridge & the freezer!! :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom