Review Houseworth Halogen Convection Oven HW-COG12

So it just goes on cooking unless you turn the whole thing off at the mains?

No, it's only the timer that appears to stick. Turn the timer to zero and the cooking stops immediately.

They are now less than £ 25.00 even with the current exchange rate. I cannot now be without one.

My wife suggested that we give the old halogen to her friend whose own one is broken. "What is wrong with her's?", I asked. "The timer is sticking same as ours". "What is the point of giving her a replacement that has the same fault?"

Oh well.

My wife suggested that we give the old halogen to her friend whose own one is broken. "What is wrong with her's?", I asked. "The timer is sticking same as ours". "What is the point of giving her a replacement that has the same fault?"

Oh well.
30 years of marriage have taught me this: just give 'em that oven. :laugh:

When you get a new one, it might be better to get one with a completely digital control panel. My toaster oven, Ninja Foodi & my countertop dishwasher & microwave have them. No mechanical knobs, timers or switches to get dirty or stuck!! :wink:

Last edited:
As the timer is mechanical therefore does not need to be connected to the electrickery to operate, I've been regularly setting the timer on my way past to the fridge. After 2 days it appears to be working satisfactorily (although I cannot verify that it's accurate - it just turns off). In addition, considering advice from a friend, I've sprayed a little WD40 on the control (after removing the button) and I'm now giving it another test drive.

"Oven" chips (not very successful).

My second attempt (first this year) at cooking oven chips in the halogen oven. Better but could be significantly better. Maybe I'll try again next year.

The finished product is here: #83

Last edited:
When you say oven chips do you mean home-made?

Yes. Cut a little thicker than my norm (for deep frying) and parboiled for 7 minutes.

We don't get mass produced oven chips here, as far as I know.

Yes. Cut a little thicker than my norm (for deep frying) and parboiled for 7 minutes.

We don't get mass produced oven chips here, as far as I know.

I think yours look good. I make them and they seem to cook a bit unevenly but they may be because I don't cut them evenly. What are you trying to improve on?

I think yours look good. I make them and they seem to cook a bit unevenly but they may be because I don't cut them evenly. What are you trying to improve on?

I am trying to get a consistent colour, so it "looks" like they are evenly cooked. Generally with deep fried chips the colour is regular (except for the odd rogue). These just don't look right to me.

Back
Top Bottom