How do I cook chicken for the dog I'm looking after?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:39 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I know this may seem daft, but how do I cook chicken?

I ask because I need to feed the dog I am dog sitting for white rice and white chicken only. He is ill. Cooking it from scratch is cheaper than the tinned stuff the vet has and I have the issue of getting to the vets to collect the tins, whereas my OH can come home via the supermarket and pick up a chicken (by which time the vets would have closed).

So I was thinking of boiling it because he is dehydrated as well (he has vomiting and diarrhoea and being an Irish Wolf Hound there is rather a lot of it (!)). The vet has been out to see him because of an on-going heart condition which this may be part of... but the question remains who do I cook a chicken please - white meat only, not oily, no skin, no bones, no leg etc.... I was reckoning that boiling it would be the best option?

If you are cutting the chicken in small parts, I'd say anywhere between 20 -30 mins. If it's being cooked whole maybe a little longer. You can definitely use the broth for cooking the rice as far as I understand. I'm planning on cooking more for my dogs. I get too many horror stories about chow.

Reactions: L_B
Simmer the chicken in just enough water to cover it. If he is having issues, the white meat may be best because it is lower in fat then the darker meat. Do not add any seasonings to the water. When the chicken is done, in about 30-45 min, take it out to cool and continue simmering the resulting broth until it is reduced by at least half. I would recommend chopping the chicken and then adding some of the broth to moisten it. You might consider adding some cooked rice to the chicken mixture.

I will often poach chicken breasts when we need chicken for salads or fillings for enchiladas and such. I usually bring the chicken and the liquid (sometimes water with just some seasonings, sometimes broth) to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 8 minutes or so, then I start using a thermometer to check the temperature, and just simmer it until it reaches the desired degrees.

the rather large pooch is now much better. thank you for all your house. I managed to avoid filling the house with the smell of boiled chicken by leaving the extractor fan on max throughout and whilst it and the stock were cooling down.
1 very reluctant dog returned to its owner some 4 hours after they got home. Usually he howls when he hears their car engine(s) and lets the world know... this time he didn't respond and even when she knocked on the door of my house and came in, he stayed in the living room with me. This is nothing to do with being ill... he is much better, but still on the rice and chicken diet which he is loving! :whistling:

I am a dog lover and has a long experience in taking care of dogs. We feed our dogs with table food, i.e. chicken, fish, pork. For chicken, the best is broiled. Grilled or roasted but with no spices nor seasoning. Just pure chicken. When boiling chicken, it's the same, just water and chicken. We also fry chicken but not too often because of the fats. Our dogs love the roasted chicken. With just the aroma, the dogs would already be whining as if they are already hungry.

Since you can only feed the dog white chicken, I would not recommend boiling a whole chicken, use only the chicken breasts. Boil it for about 20 minutes and then cut it up into pieces. You probably do not even need to season the meat since it is being fed to the dog.

I would poach the chicken, use boneless chicken breasts and poach for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked. This way there is no seasonings or oils for the dog.

Steaming it is also a good idea as boiling the chicken will cause it to lose some flavor to the broth. If he's dehydrated then get him some water he doesn't necessarily need to get it from the food itself. The white rice with help with the diarrhea but if that's the case then his owners should have fed him brown rice instead because it has more fiber that aids with digestion.

Back
Top Bottom