How do I know when fish is cooked??

A tongan friend gave me a recipe for raw fish. Using trevally and lemons.
I must make it again. Tomato and coconut also figure.
It gets eaten pretty quickly.

Russ

Edited: I got fish mixed up. It was terakihi

Last edited:
So nobody knows what kind of fish it was or how it turned out. A mystery to this day...

My only intelligence on this is that a lot of chefs advise against fish cooked sous vide. Fresh fish cooks so quickly to tender perfection, that there is no real advantage in using the sous vide method. It can also lead to a rather gummy strange soft texture.
DITTO MG
Seafood in general and fish specifically are best with simple preparations. Minimal cooking time, simple seasoning - herbs, spices and citrus. Honor the protein. Don't over think the preparation. I would never Sous Vide fish.

DITTO MG
Seafood in general and fish specifically are best with simple preparations. Minimal cooking time, simple seasoning - herbs, spices and citrus. Honor the protein. Don't over think the preparation. I would never Sous Vide fish.

Hey there, neighbor. Nice to see you post. I know I'm not the only one who has missed you.

BTW, if anyone knows about cooking fish, it is ElizabethB. Probably most of it caught by her husband and other family members. :okay:

CD

BTW, if anyone knows about cooking fish, it is ElizabethB. Probably most of it caught by her husband and other family members. :okay:
Yes caseydog
George, my stepson and my baby brother provide the fish. My Dad provided the wisdom and the technique. Always respect the product.
Miss you all. Sorry for being away.

Fish & other seafood doesn't take long to cook, which is why when addind fish or other seafood to soups & stews & paella, you add it last. :whistling:

Last edited:
I still rely on a thermometer.
Roast on the skin, Butter on top, at 120c/248f in the oven until thermometer in the thickest part of the fish shows 50c/122f. When it's just for me I take it out a little bit under 50c/122f, so the fish is still uncooked in the middle, only recommended with good quality fish that isn't full of toxins. And I'm one of those who would throw any kind of fresh herbs or spicy seasonings on the fish.

In the old days without fridges you just used salt and some herbs, so you could taste if it's rotten

I still rely on a thermometer.
Roast on the skin, Butter on top, at 120c/248f in the oven until thermometer in the thickest part of the fish shows 50c/122f. When it's just for me I take it out a little bit under 50c/122f, so the fish is still uncooked in the middle, only recommended with good quality fish that isn't full of toxins. And I'm one of those who would throw any kind of fresh herbs or spicy seasonings on the fish.

In the old days without fridges you just used salt and some herbs, so you could taste if it's rotten
I've never used a thermometer but I started cooking fish in the early 1980s and it's something I can do by instinct. I grew up in a small fishing village on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida and I ate fish nearly every day up until around 2000 when I moved to Ohio. Then it was mostly chicken but rarely red meat. No thermometer used cooking chicken, either.

Steak and prime rib I have cooked less often and I use a meat thermometer almost always.

I've never used a thermometer but I started cooking fish in the early 1980s and it's something I can do by instinct. I grew up in a small fishing village on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida and I ate fish nearly every day up until around 2000 when I moved to Ohio. Then it was mostly chicken but rarely red meat. No thermometer used cooking chicken, either.

Steak and prime rib I have cooked less often and I use a meat thermometer almost always.

No thermometer here as well. Although my son gave me 1 when he bought 2 for 1 deal. Battery operated.
I know I will never use it. 40 years has given me the knowhow.

Russ

No thermometer here as well. Although my son gave me 1 when he bought 2 for 1 deal. Battery operated.
I know I will never use it. 40 years has given me the knowhow.

Russ
But we weren't trained professionally like PabloLerntKochen and others. To put out a consistent product in professional setting I get why it's important.

Back
Top Bottom