How do we communicate?

Auf Wiedersehen Pet covered a few. Mainly Geordie, but also Scouse, Brummie, Cockney and Bristolian.

As someone who hails from Newcastle, I'm always amused (and slightly irritated) when anyone from Sunderland is described as a Geordie. They're not. They are Makems. This is because they say mak and tak rather than make and take. And it's not derogatory - it's how they refer to themselves.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet covered a few. Mainly Geordie, but also Scouse, Brummie, Cockney and Bristolian.

As someone who hails from Newcastle, I'm always amused (and slightly irritated) when anyone from Sunderland is described as a Geordie. They're not. They are Makems. This is because they say mak and tak rather than make and take. And it's not derogatory - it's how they refer to themselves.

I find the scots hard to understand.

Russ

I find the scots hard to understand.

Russ
There are lots of different Scottish accents and one common myth is that the further north you go, the harder it is to understand. In fact, people from the Highlands tend to talk more slowly than Lowland Scots. People from Edinburgh and Glasgow often speak quite quickly and that can make it harder to decipher.

Probably the most difficult accent to get is people from rural areas like the Scottish Borders. It's true of other parts of the UK. Even I have trouble sometimes with rural Northumbrian accents.

Just today I received a whatsapp from a friend who it should been a bit lazy about communication...It was funny enough, she "wrote" to me only with Emoticons. A sort of childish challenge. But at some stage she sent me a series of them and I didn't know what other kind of Emoticons to use. I apologized to her writing "sorry if I write to a text, I've finished Emoticons". She replied: :wave:

What about you with Emoticons?

I would never use just emoticons to message someone as they are confusing and tbh I think it a bit rude, however I do use them to respond to someone else's post.

Part 2:
So the moms figured out that texts and chat room conversations are still on the computer even after being deleted. Remember this is barely 6 months to a year into the net being created.

Mrs. Dinerstein's daughter was one of the girls mixed up in all this, so she brought her young son Lester who was a 9 year old Bill Gates over to bust into the computer. Easy for a smart, computer savvy kid and Mrs Dinerstein knew it and Lester knew his mom knew it.
Lester was to print every bit of communication the girls ever did. The moms did this at every house on all the girls computers.

Oh brother.
Lester at first realized this stuff being printed was going to get the girls in more trouble and tried to baulk at cooperating.
Mrs Dinerstein was one of those firecracker moms that sat on her straight A student, well behaved kids and young Lester believed mom can kill him if she simply feels like it. Perfectly legal in his frame of mind. The printer continued on and the girls were in even deeper.

Today 3 of the girls are Doctors in Athens Georgia one of the girls teaches English in Osaka Japan.

We all made it through childhood OK.

Great story. Its much more difficult to police now than in in those early days.

Our storeman and his wife were both from Sunderland, when I refered to them as Geordies my 3 brothers in law soon put me straight! My husband and his family are from South Shields.

There are lots of different Scottish accents and one common myth is that the further north you go, the harder it is to understand. In fact, people from the Highlands tend to talk more slowly than Lowland Scots. People from Edinburgh and Glasgow often speak quite quickly and that can make it harder to decipher.

Probably the most difficult accent to get is people from rural areas like the Scottish Borders. It's true of other parts of the UK. Even I have trouble sometimes with rural Northumbrian accents.

We had 2 Glasweigans and 1 Dundee in the office, the difference in accents was huge.

Having lived and worked in Scotland for many years I found the Edinburgh accent easy to understand but only 40 or so miles west the raw Glasgwegian accent was difficult, at least for me at first.

I would never use just emoticons to message someone as they are confusing and tbh I think it a bit rude, however I do use them to respond to someone else's post.

It was only a childish joke between us, we are very old friends (about 20ys) and sometimes we became like 8s. I wouldn’t write to someone else only by using emoji o gif of course, but this episode has made me think if and how someone else uses Em/G/Emoticons

Music is certainly an art form from which I believe it is difficult to ignore, as well as one of the most powerful communication vehicles that exist, as well as more immediate. Arrive immediately. An art or photography exhibition has the characteristic (or at least I see it that way) of being slower, more thoughtful probably.

I admired paintings of all kinds, appreciating the silence from which they were protected and so far one of the artists who communicated me the most was certainly Vincent Van Gogh. Same thing for photographic exhibitions, but also a simple photograph on a book.
Few in the world like Robert Capa have caught my attention and from time to time I go back to browse his book "Slightly out of focus".

But cinema is something that for me contains all this, even though they are all different forms of art and communication.

You said: "Movies are interesting because I don't always need a message, it doesn't need to be about anything."

Yes, but I think that in the same way we can say the same about everything else like a book, a photograph, a painting or a song...?
Art, photography, sculpture etc. invite you to interpret their meaning at your own pace. Cinema and music set their own pace, which you may keep up with, or not. Literature, I would suggest, is somewhere in between. Fascinating subject!

Ah, literary communication (as opposed to the everyday). So many schools of thought that I can't remember all of them, though I probably looked at all of them during my degree course. One bunch I couldn't get at all were the Formalists. Formalism is, essentially, art for art's sake. It's all to do with style over substance, which means that they're not remotely interested in context or even meaning. As long as it looks good and sounds good, your Formalist is writhing in ecstasy. And possibly using ecstasy.

I pressed the reject button on this lot. I want literature that means something.

Had no trouble up,near Inverness. Or Edinburgh. Never went to Glasgow . :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom