How do we communicate?

I may have mentioned cursive is no longer taught in USA schools in the Southwest.
Wifie left a list once in cursive and none of the kids understood it.

I may have mentioned cursive is no longer taught in USA schools in the Southwest.
Wifie left a list once in cursive and none of the kids understood it.

Blimey! I assume it is still taught in the UK but I really don't know for sure. My kids were certainly taught it - but they are all grown up now.

My wife will talk to me in the form of a question when she wants me to do something.
I always answer “in other words you want me to move the car?” “In other words I need to trim the roses?”
What always makes me laugh about my wife is that she simply cannot answer a direct question with yes or no, and her indirect answer doesn't always point to what she's thinking.

We have exchanges like:

"Do you want chicken for supper?"
"Well, we're going to The Amber Room this weekend."
🤷🏻‍♂️

"What credit card do you want me to use to pay for the car repairs?"
"Well, I get hotel points on the Hilton card and miles on the Delta card."
😐

"With your back bothering you, do you want to sleep out here in the recliner tonight?"
"Well, it's supposed to get down to 41F tonight."
🤔

What always makes me laugh about my wife is that she simply cannot answer a direct question with yes or no, and her indirect answer doesn't always point to what she's thinking.

We have exchanges like:

🤷🏻‍♂️

😐

"With your back bothering you, do you want to sleep out here in the recliner tonight?"
🤔
Is she, or has she ever been, a politician?

We have exchanges like:

🤷🏻‍♂️

😐

🤔

It sounds all so clear to me :laugh:

Photography, as well as Cinema, Theater, Music and Literature, are forms of communication, that is conveyed through these universal forms of art. They come to anyone, for better or for worse, they may like it or not, but they enter the folds of everyone's life.

Which is the one that most strikes you or that attracts you the most among these that I mentioned? (Well, it could be anything else about art, not necessarily just the ones I mentioned).

For me, Cinema and Literature.

Which is the one that most strikes you or that attracts you the most among these that I mentioned?
I'm a musician, so I probably should say music, first and foremost. I also am equally drawn to lyrics and melody, which pulls in the written/spoken word.

I'll add, though, that I spent many years going to art exhibits, appreciated that, but when I attended my first photography exhibit, it was truly enthralling. I was (and am) very attracted to realism in photography, and have been especially moved by candid images caught by a still camera. Now, if I have the choice between seeing paintings, or sculpture, performance art, or photography, I'm likely to choose the photographs.

I do enjoy a good film, though - especially ones from 1960's through to the 1980's, and I'm especially fond of a lot of European stuff. Movies are interesting because I don't always need a message, it doesn't necessarily have to be "about" anything...if there's a reason to appreciate it, I can usually find it, and if it's based on a book (or if there's a book adaptation based on the film), I especially like engaging both. I feel that gives me a more complete picture of the story.

I'm a musician, so I probably should say music, first and foremost. I also am equally drawn to lyrics and melody, which pulls in the written/spoken word.

I'll add, though, that I spent many years going to art exhibits, appreciated that, but when I attended my first photography exhibit, it was truly enthralling. I was (and am) very attracted to realism in photography, and have been especially moved by candid images caught by a still camera. Now, if I have the choice between seeing paintings, or sculpture, performance art, or photography, I'm likely to choose the photographs.

I do enjoy a good film, though - especially ones from 1960's through to the 1980's, and I'm especially fond of a lot of European stuff. Movies are interesting because I don't always need a message, it doesn't necessarily have to be "about" anything...if there's a reason to appreciate it, I can usually find it, and if it's based on a book (or if there's a book adaptation based on the film), I especially like engaging both. I feel that gives me a more complete picture of the story.

Music is certainly an art form from which I believe it is difficult to ignore, as well as one of the most powerful communication vehicles that exist, as well as more immediate. Arrive immediately. An art or photography exhibition has the characteristic (or at least I see it that way) of being slower, more thoughtful probably.

I admired paintings of all kinds, appreciating the silence from which they were protected and so far one of the artists who communicated me the most was certainly Vincent Van Gogh. Same thing for photographic exhibitions, but also a simple photograph on a book.
Few in the world like Robert Capa have caught my attention and from time to time I go back to browse his book "Slightly out of focus".

But cinema is something that for me contains all this, even though they are all different forms of art and communication.

You said: "Movies are interesting because I don't always need a message, it doesn't need to be about anything."

Yes, but I think that in the same way we can say the same about everything else like a book, a photograph, a painting or a song...?

Webcams can be quite revealing as well. Karen was the president of our HOA where we used to live. There were cams set up at the community entrance and pool area. One of the residents didn't
believe it when he was told about his underage daughter being at the pool when it was closed, engaging in questionable behavior with her boyfriend. Until he was shown the video.

In the very early days, not even a year into the creation of Emails and chat rooms on the internet one of our girls and her GF's got themselves into hot water.
They were 14 and passed themselves off as 18 and were online flirting with guys.
Well, the phone rang and it was a neighbor at our local cineplex who saw the girls with older guys.

I was going to deal with it head on but the wife brushed me back, rounded up all the other moms and they busted the girls in person at the theater.

You drop the kids off at the movies to pick them up in 2 hours when it's over,, what could possibly go wrong?

That was my first eye opener of several how unhealthy the net can be if not careful.

Last edited:
Part 2:
So the moms figured out that texts and chat room conversations are still on the computer even after being deleted. Remember this is barely 6 months to a year into the net being created.

Mrs. Dinerstein's daughter was one of the girls mixed up in all this, so she brought her young son Lester who was a 9 year old Bill Gates over to bust into the computer. Easy for a smart, computer savvy kid and Mrs Dinerstein knew it and Lester knew his mom knew it.
Lester was to print every bit of communication the girls ever did. The moms did this at every house on all the girls computers.

Oh brother.
Lester at first realized this stuff being printed was going to get the girls in more trouble and tried to baulk at cooperating.
Mrs Dinerstein was one of those firecracker moms that sat on her straight A student, well behaved kids and young Lester believed mom can kill him if she simply feels like it. Perfectly legal in his frame of mind. The printer continued on and the girls were in even deeper.

Today 3 of the girls are Doctors in Athens Georgia one of the girls teaches English in Osaka Japan.

We all made it through childhood OK.

Last edited:
Most forms of communication are at an everyday or prosaic level. This isn't me being a philistine, it's a simple fact.

I find everyday communication interesting, as it's a lot more diverse than meets the eye, or indeed, ear. There is a huge range from the familiarity among friends to the formal language of official letters, technical documents and so forth.

In general, people change the way they communicate depending on who they are communicating with and, indeed, how they are communicating.

I loved the tv programme auf wiedersein with all the different accents, I love the Birmingham accent. Here in nz the southern accent has people rolling their "R" s in words . Very different to where I am. The funny thing is my sons kids all speak with that same rolling r. We don't know how they picked it up??? It's very noticeable !!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom