How do we communicate?

I love a potty mouth in a chick. Within reason. Lol. A horse trainer I know is a women about 35 yo. Her mouth is as bad as it gets.lol. Worse than a sailor.

Russ

I love a potty mouth in a chick. Within reason. Lol. A horse trainer I know is a women about 35 yo. Her mouth is as bad as it gets.lol. Worse than a sailor.

Russ
My SIL has the most vulgar language I've ever heard. It's not just the language, it's really how she thinks, like her very essence is just gleefully coarse.

Her standard greeting, whether she knows you or not, is "Hi. How's your a**hole?!" :laugh:

After I'd gotten to know her, and I'd heard her say that a few times, I finally asked her, "Donna, what in the world do you even mean by that?"

She replied, "Well, if your a**hole is doing ok, then no matter how bad everything else is, at least your a**hole is doing ok. Make sense?"

Ok...yeah...got it. :laugh:

My SIL has the most vulgar language I've ever heard. It's not just the language, it's really how she thinks, like her very essence is just gleefully coarse.

Her standard greeting, whether she knows you or not, is "Hi. How's your a**hole?!" :laugh:

After I'd gotten to know her, and I'd heard her say that a few times, I finally asked her, "Donna, what in the world do you even mean by that?"

She replied, "Well, if your a**hole is doing ok, then no matter how bad everything else is, at least your a**hole is doing ok. Make sense?"

Ok...yeah...got it. :laugh:

Coz if it's not working, you will be having problems. I just greet with, how ya going?

Russ

Problems with words that sound similar, an occasional series.

When I worked in Eritrea, one of the other British volunteers was a chap from Kent called Steve. He was a maths teacher (we'll spare the maths teacher jokes for another time). Like most of us, he did his best to speak a little bit of Tigrigna. One word we learned fairly quickly was for "bill" (as in a restaurant).

The word (in phonetic English) is hesab. One day, we were having a meal and when we had finished, Steve asked for the bill. Well, he was under the impression he'd asked for the bill. In fact, what he had requested was a lightbulb.

Naturally, the waiter was somewhat bemused and amused at the same time. Fortunately, he spoke pretty good English and explained the mistake. In some ways, it was a shame. It would have been good if the waiter had solemnly returned with a lightbulb on a tray.

Problems with words that sound similar, an occasional series.

When I worked in Eritrea, one of the other British volunteers was a chap from Kent called Steve. He was a maths teacher (we'll spare the maths teacher jokes for another time). Like most of us, he did his best to speak a little bit of Tigrigna. One word we learned fairly quickly was for "bill" (as in a restaurant).

The word (in phonetic English) is hesab. One day, we were having a meal and when we had finished, Steve asked for the bill. Well, he was under the impression he'd asked for the bill. In fact, what he had requested was a lightbulb.

Naturally, the waiter was somewhat bemused and amused at the same time. Fortunately, he spoke pretty good English and explained the mistake. In some ways, it was a shame. It would have been good if the waiter had solemnly returned with a lightbulb on a tray.

Or how you say the words, I used to smoke benson and hedges when I was a teen, I used to order when going into s shop, a packet of b and h please. The shopkeeper didn't hear it properly. He went out the back and came back with a packet of band aids. I laughed like hell at the time. I've never forgotten it.

Russ

Reminds me of the famous Two Ronnies sketch...four candles/fork handles.

There is a pub in Oxford called The Four Candles, a tribute to Ronnie Barker, who went to school in the city.

Yup, fully aware of the four candles, I showed my son the other day, he laughed like hell,lol. Open all hours is repeating here every night on the uk channel, right after allo allo.

Russ

Yup, fully aware of the four candles, I showed my son the other day, he laughed like hell,lol. Open all hours is repeating here every night on the uk channel, right after allo allo.

Russ

A Christmas card we received,

Here's another one that irks me somewhat; why do many people seem incapable of differentiating between the verbs to lie and to lay? Example: "I was laying on my bed."

My first thought is, "Oh, so you're a chicken, are you?" One lies on a bed. One lays eggs. Or one lays a table. Lie. Lay. Not difficult.

Here's another one that irks me somewhat; why do many people seem incapable of differentiating between the verbs to lie and to lay? Example: "I was laying on my bed."

My first thought is, "Oh, so you're a chicken, are you?" One lies on a bed. One lays eggs. Or one lays a table. Lie. Lay. Not difficult.

Another one is the confusion between 'fewer' and 'less', which do not mean the same thing!

And now we are approaching the month that appears to have become "Feb-ury." What happened to the a and the r? I can only assume it's a bit too much effort for some people. Feb-ru-ary. It's not that hard.

What happened to the a and the r?

They left town with the d and e from Wednesday, leaving us with Wensday. :)

Of course, I'm one to talk; my American-Midwest-With-A-Bit-Of-Upper-South accent means the t left Winter a long time ago, and we're now in what should be the coldest part of "Winner!" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom